Monday, May 21, 2012

Chocolate Cake (with a twist)!

This weekend I finally got around to making
a cake I had been wanting to bake!
It was recommended to me by a lovely blogger, Joy, who writes
a blog called Joyness Sparkles that I follow
 and very much enjoy reading!
One of the main reasons I was anxious to make this cake was that
it is a vegan cake... I have never baked anything vegan before and it sort of
amazed me that a tasty cake could be made without eggs or butter...
but it turned out wonderfully!

I recently got an official recipe book that I copied family
recipes and others into, instead of just having them written on different slips of paper...
there was something about this being the first thing I am
making out of my new recipe book that made it all the more exciting!
The recipe for this chocolate cake calls for:
1 and 1/4 cups flour
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white vinegar (or apple
cider vinegar)
The chocolate glaze topping calls for:
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons soy milk
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
(you can use regular milk instead if you aren't
making it to be vegan)

The original recipe can be found here.

First I added all of the ingredients in a bowl and stirred.


Then I mixed the wet and dry ingredients together with a
hand mixer.
I poured the batter into an apx. 8x11 cake pan I sprayed with
cooking spray and put into a 350 degree oven for about
thirty-five minutes (my oven cooks fast) and waited for the
amazing scent of baked goodness to come.

Because I've been limiting the sugar I eat, I decided to use a different
topping than what the recipe provided- although the glaze does sound
delicious.  Something we've been loving on cakes lately is
a chocolate mousse topping... it's delicious, light, and not too rich
like a lot of frostings.
For the chocolate mousse topping:
Mix up one pack of pudding mix (I used sugar free which tastes
fine) with the amount of milk, or soy milk, that is called
for.  Once it is mixed into pudding, add desired amount of
whipped cream and fold into the pudding until it
makes a chocolate mousse...

...and looks something like this.

For the mousse topping to stay solidified, you'll want to keep the
cake refrigerated.  I love how refreshing and cool it is
every time you get it out to get a piece!

And this is how the finished cake turned out!

Just wanted to share this delicious cake.
Thankyou Joy for the recommendation of this recipe!  I truly
appreciate it and my family and I have been
enjoying this cake very much... probably a little more than
we should ;)


Happy baking!
Have a Blessed Day!


2 comments:

  1. You are very welcome and I am SO glad that you enjoyed the cake! That is what is requested for birthdays in this house...make THE chocolate cake. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy!
      Haha, I believe it's going to become THE chocolate cake here too! It was wonderful.
      Thankyou again and I hope you have a wonderful day :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...