Monday, May 7, 2012

When I Grow Up...

Isn't it funny how much your dreams and goals can
change as you grow up?
Aside from the serious and deep goals and aspirations I have
for my life, I was thinking today about how much my thoughts
 on the future have changed throughout the years and my
childhood-  simply my hopes and thoughts on
'what I want to be when I grow up'.

So for a fun and personal post, I thought I would just share those
changes  as they have happened in my life.
And there have been a lot.

The first thing I ever remember wanting to be, when
I was about 6 or 7, was a cashier.
At the time it seemed to me like a good, life-long
occupation... but to be honest, the thing that excited me the most was
that cashiers (at least the ones I'd seen) all got to wear pretty acrylic
nails, chew lots of gum and wear a cool
nametag. That seemed like the neatest thing to me
then! hahaha.

When I was around 9 I wanted to be a librarian.
It was for a similar reason to wanting to be a cashier... because
I'd get to do something that looked fun, in this case
getting to stamp the dates in books and scan them.
I also loved books, which hasn't changed.

By my 11th birthday, I had thoughts of being a teacher.
I always admired my kindergarten teacher and it looked
like a nice job to get to be around kids all day and get to teach
and influence lives of children.

When I was 13 or so, one of the aspirations came to me that
 stayed with me for the longest I
 believe- the hope of being a wedding planner.
This was something I began to suddenly
 show interest in, mostly because I read books and saw films with 
beautiful weddings.  I love being creative and decorating and it
 seemed like something that was right up my alley. I hung on to this plan
 for my occupation in life until about three years
ago, when other things started to influence my thoughts and made
me think deeper about the future... but it is still something that interests
me somewhat.

When I was 17 I started to look into being a nurse.
It was something that interested me, and to tell you the truth
it still does... but the idea of seeing blood and other things
and sticking people got to me and I don't think I could get through
what I'd have to see in the schooling let alone the job.

And now... well, now that it truly matters, I don't have anything
that I know in my heart I truly want to be.  I have thought again of being
a teacher, because as I've read (and watched) 'Little House on
the Prairie' Laura Ingalls inspires me and she was a teacher.
I have to think more on it.

...and one that I think they call a 'pipe dream' is I would love
to live in a small town and open and run a Southern diner or cafe.
I think that would be so much fun!


What did you want to be when
you grew up?


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post!

    I wanted to be an Oceanographer when I was a kid. This passion stuck with me for years until I found out that there are places where the water is miles deep. After that, I just appreciate the Deep from photographs.

    I went to college to be a minister, but life worked out otherwise. I had to work a day job for many, many years and have learned so much from that experience that now I am working on starting an online business...something that I can still be at home, yet give me something creative to do and still contribute to the family.

    My long term goal is to be a permaculture farmer (food forest) and have a farm sancutary. It will be awhile though. I have to have some major income to buy a property first as I am not comfortable with loans. :)

    Thank you for this post, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy!
      Thankyou, I 'm so glad you enjoyed this post. Those sound great. An Oceanographer would be such a neat job. The depth of the oceans would probably have made me think twice too, though- that can be scary. But I have always thought the ocean to be such a wonderful, amazing creation and I bet it would be so neat to study. And a minister would be so worthwhile and amazing as well...
      That's wonderful you've found something you want to do after your experiences though. An online business seems like it would really fit for you, and how nice to get to be creative and do something you love while spending plenty of time with your family. I hope you will share about it when you start your business!
      I can't believe I have never heard of a permaculture farmer... that sounds fascinating. You seem very passionate about it and I hope you are able to do it :)

      Thankyou so much for stoppin' by!
      Have a great night!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...