Monday, June 18, 2012

A Bit of Heaven

A few days ago, I wrote about my excitement of having 
received a package with my highly awaited Southern cookbook inside!
As of now, I am thrilled to share that I have tried making
a recipe out of it for the first time...
a baked macaroni dish, more officially (in the Hall of Fame of Southern
Recipes cookbook)
known as 'Grandma Jo's Famous Mac and Cheese'.
Here is what it looked like right after it came out
of the oven.

Grandma Jo must be/have been a wonderful, smart southern lady
because this is without any doubt whatsoever the BEST Mac n' Cheese dish
I have ever had the privilege of tasting...  it came out so delicious, creamy on the inside, but
with a delightful crispness with the baked top.
It was so wonderful that I did so much more than taste it,
I had a few more servings than I would like to admit ;)
I couldn't get enough of it.  And more importantly, my family loved it too. Usually
I am the one who makes a lot of baked goods and sweets, but there
is something truly fulfilling about presenting your family with a supper they
can enjoy.

That brings me to not only the joy, but the sense of pride that I felt
after making this meal.  I can't explain it, but it felt wonderful.  Those feelings
probably came from the sheer excitement and relief that it came out as well as I hoped.
If you are looking for a meal to make for a special occasion where you
are hoping to impress someone with your cooking, I would definitely recommend this!
 After making it, I couldn't help but think that this is the perfect meal
to impress future parents-in-law.
There are so many other scenarios and places this would be an impressive meal.
In the South we have many, many backyard BBQ's, cookouts,
different types of socials and gatherings, etc. and of course baby and wedding showers... 
I believe this will be the dish I will bring to any occasion
I go to :)

Above all, this recipe was completely wonderful!  It made me
thankful to be alive, thankful for the smallest things like having been created with
taste buds, and thankful that even if all of the other recipes were awful in this
 book it wouldn't even matter because this one turned out so amazing
and made it worth it!

If you would like to experience a little bit of heaven,
here is the recipe:

MACARONI
1 8 oz. box macaroni noodles
1 stick of butter
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup of half-and-half
2 cups small curd-cottage cheese

TOPPING
1/2 stick butter, softened
15 or more Ritz crackers, crushed
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar

Instructions:
Cook macaroni according to directions, drain and add butter.
Set aside. Mix egg, cottage cheese, sour cream, half-and-half, and salt.
Add this mixture to the cooked macaroni, mix well, place in buttered
9x13 inch pan.
Mix ingredients for topping and spread completely over top of macaroni
in the pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.


*Note- if you would like this recipe to be not
quite as rich as it is, you could do like I did and not put in the
cottage cheese.  I decided not to add it in because it would be more
of a lasagna type texture, instead of creamier.  Also, instead of
the 2 cups of cheddar to add to the macaroni and mixture before stirring
altogether, I only used about 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar.
This made it less rich.  Everything turned out perfectly, though, in
my opinion at a good medium- not too rich, but absolutely
delicious and rich enough.

Recipes like this one, and all of those recipes
handed down from woman to woman through countless generations, are what
make food in the South what it is.
I look forward to sharing more
of the recipes from my new book as I make them.

Have a wonderful day of blessings
(and good food)!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Jazzmin, this certainly does look good! I haven't had a good macaroni and cheese dish in a LONG time! I don't think I've seen this dish with such a pretty crust though. You certainly did a great job of making it, especially since it was your first try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mara!
      Thankyou for such a kind comment, I appreciate that very much!
      I really was glad and relieved that it turned out well (I didn't want to disappoint my family) and I think anyone would enjoy it :)

      Have a lovely day!
      ~Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...