Sunday, August 5, 2012

American Sayings

 
As you grow up, your family and where you
are brought up have a large influence on how you speak... not just the
your 'accent' or the way you pronounce words, but also what sayings and phrases
you pick up & use in your everyday speech.
 
I love to use little sayings and phrases.
I think they make conversation so much more fun and interesting and even 
hint at your personality and how (and sometimes where) your grew up.
I was thinking about this recently and thought I would look up some of the more 
heard of American sayings to share, as well as some that I have grown up saying myself.
Most have witty meanings, but some are just fun to use.
And no matter where they are used today (some even seem sort of sassy-Southern),
I think it's interesting to think about where each saying may have originated
and how they might have thought of it.
 
Here are some you might know:
 
 "Hit the hay"
 
"The bees knees"
 
"Happy as a clam"
 
"Catch 22"
 
"Close, but no cigar"
 
"Jump on the bandwagon"
 
"Face the music"
 
"Tuckered out"
 
"Hell in a handbasket"
 
"Goody, goody gumdrops"
 
"Heebie-jeebies"
 
"If you can't stand the heat, get out
of the kitchen"
 
"Out in the boonies"
 
"Loose cannon"
 
"No dice"
 
"On cloud nine"
 
"Pass the buck"
 
"Hold your horses"
 
"Easy as pie" or "Piece of cake"
 
"Pull the wool over your eyes"
 
"Spilled the beans"
 
"Fly off the handle"
 
"The whole nine yards"
 
"The Real McCoy"
 
"A little birdy told me"
 
"About as useful as a trap door on
a canoe"
 
"Don't beat around the bush"
 
"Toot your own horn"
 
.    .    .    .    .
 
What sayings did you grow up with, have heard, or like?
.    .    .
 
Thankyou for reading.
Have a wonderful day
: )
 
 

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I grew up with most of those sayings, how fun! This is a great post that brought back many memories, ya betcha'! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy,
      So glad you enjoyed this post and that it brought back some memories! That is one thing I love about sayings like these as well- they can bring back memories and are humorous and fun.

      Thankyou for your comment!

      Have a wonderful day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...