Friday, August 10, 2012

First Dress

It has been storming off and on here for the last hour and I am loving the snuggly feeling of the weather.  It is the perfect day to read, which I am going to do after I type this post (smile), and also for doing something creative.  As I have probably mentioned approximately two million times, I love crafts and projects on rainy days.  I feel like starting a new sewing project particularly!

I am now free to begin anew because, just before I left on my trip, I finished a piece of clothing I am so excited to share as it feels like a milestone... my first dress :)  Recently I was finally able to take some decent photographs of it.

I love the fabric.  It is a soft cotton material with the slightest stretch.  The blue gingham makes me feel like I am wearing a country-style, old-fashioned dress and I fell in love with that aspect especially.
The inner neckline of the front of the dress. I used a different method of sewing
the neckline,  by using a folded over ribbon for a smoother look.

Here is the completed dress...
It was such a fun and relatively simple pattern to sew!  I am thankful for and pleased with how it turned out.  I plan on wearing it to church, but I think it will be a pretty dress for a get-together or going out to eat for an occasion or on the weekend.  It feels very ladylike :)  Best of all, I am happy I was able to get this fabric, because combined with the cut and design, it will make for a very light and cool summer dress in this Southern weather!

As far as details, it is a simple design: high neckline and back with little cap sleeves, a swinging skirt (I love that), hemline falls to about my mid or upper shins, and has an amazingly comfortable elastic-cinch waist.


For what I believe is a first in sharing my sewing, I was able to get a photo- or a few photos- of the dress on, which I am very excited about... I didn't want to just show it only on the hanger, but with form to show how it lays and hangs.

 

I am looking forward to starting something new soon.  I am so thankful to have the opportunity to sew and am enjoying it so much; not only for the skill, but for the blessing of being able to make a modest dress or blouse when I cannot always find one in a store.

Thankyou for reading!  Are you sewing anything or working on a 'rainy day' project?
~Have a beautiful evening~
 


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...You look adorable! I love that dress on you it is great for your figure, now all you need is to scoop your hair in a twist, add a little pillbox hat, matching gloves, belt and purse and you will be vintage chic! :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joy!
      Thankyou so much for stopping by and reading! I truly appreciate your sweet comment and compliments! I am so happy I got to sew my first dress or even attempted it in the first place. And I love your idea for what to wear with this- the 'vintage chic' look with this dress sounds so lovely and delicate :)

      Have a wonderful day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  2. You did a great job! It looks so pretty on you. Thank you for visiting my blog and for the kind comment. I can't wait to read more of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...