Saturday, September 8, 2012

Get to Know Me

It's Saturday morning!  It is a nice day outside, a little bit overcast and cool (a break from the blaring sun), and I feel like writing a little something over breakfast this morning...  I have a topic for a post I have been thinking of writing all week, but haven't had the chance to gather my thoughts for that one yet, so here is a different post I decided I want to do, something light and simple: a sort of "get to know me"!
I have seen this type of post on various homemaking and southern blogs and have greatly enjoyed reading them, so I figured I would do one so anyone reading can get to know me a little bit more than just through what I usually write about... and aside from what I have on my 'About' page :)

So, here are the "get to know me" questions and my answers...

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Ireland!  I have some Irish heritage and I think that the 'Emerald Isle' has some of the most, if not the most, beautiful land in the world.  So green and lush and beautiful!  The people seem absolutely lovely as well.  I don't know how I would make it on a plane ride that long, but I hope I get to go someday.

Have a favorite scent?
There are SO many!  Recently, as I have shared in a few posts, I have been buying candles a lot and have fallen in love with the candle store... I just go in and want to smell every candle before I purchase one.  I love all Fall scents, like Pumpkin, Fall Spice, and those types of smells... and any lemon or citrus scent is also amazing.  I love the smell in the air when it's about to rain or a cold front is coming in.  For everyday scents, I also love walking outside to the smell of barbeque, or the scent of something amazing baking in the oven!  And I actually like the smell of fresh garlic quite a lot.

What is the first thing you notice about someone?
Most of the time I notice a person's eyes first.  I think the expression in someone's eyes can tell you a lot about them... this is what draws me to people, and I am always drawn to a person that has kindness in their eyes.  I also notice their smile, because just as in the eyes, there is a certain sincerity that can be seen through a person's smile.

Your favorite comfort food?
Of course it's something Southern ;)  I would have to say anything warm, buttery, and delicious that I have grown up eating.  Baked Mac and cheese or creamy mashed-potatoes are incredible.

How do you find relief from stress?
I like to listen to a music that means something to me, to just get lost in it for a moment.  I also like to sew or sketch or do something creative, simple, and relaxing.  When I'm in an actual stressful situation or know I will have to do something that stresses me, the most helpful things for me are journaling and prayer.

What are you afraid of?
My biggest fear is losing loved ones.  Others are being sick in public, getting lost in the woods or wilderness somewhere, flying (really crashing), extreme heights, and bees.  Some of those you might face more than others, but my fear of bees is a big one!  I am afraid especially of wasps and hornets.  I got stung by a red hornet when I was five, and even though I honestly don't remember it that well, I have been terrified ever since.  Sometimes if a leaf falls off a tree near me, I will scream, thinking it's a bee.  One time in school, we were taking a test and the window had been left open; a huge yellow-jacket flew in and I left my test, got up, and went and sat in the back corner and ducked near my friend while the teacher tried to shoo it away.  Embarrassing, but true.  ...And I'm not sure, that may seem like a long list, but if you've ever seen the show "Monk", he is afraid of milk.  So I guess it could be worse, hehe.

What is your favorite season?
In a way, this is hard because I love them all for different reasons.  Ultimately, though, the seasons that I get most excited about and actually enjoy the most are Fall and Winter!  I was born in the wintertime, so maybe that's why, but I also just love cold weather and how cozy and lovely it is.  Especially here in the South, Fall and especially Winter, are like a vacation from the heat.

Something you would never do?
Smoke a cigarette.

Favorite film?
I love a variety of films.  I cannot tell you how much I love to laugh, so I really enjoy a good (clean) comedy.  At the end of the day, though, my favorite movies are moving, powerful, or have a sentimental, inspiring message behind them.  I'm not sure what my all time favorite is, but one that is so close to my heart is "Fried Green Tomatoes".  The story is beautiful and heartwarming, but has a flare and twist that I love... and it is set in the South during a more simple time that is refreshing.  ...And "Gone With the Wind".  It's an amazing, timeless classic and I think everyone should see that film sometime before they die.  Of course if you're from below the Mason-Dixon, you'll probably find it to be one of your favorite films ;)

Do you have a strange talent?
I'm not sure this would be useful at any point in life, but I'm one of the only people I know who can touch my tongue to the tip of my nose, haha.

Favorite band or type of music?
I really don't like the majority of the music out right now that my generation listens to.  I actually enjoy older music that was written in a more carefree, innocent time, when music was about more meaningful things and felt real.  I'm not sure about a 'favorite band', but in my opinion, the most amazing voices I have ever heard are those of older singers of the past.  I love powerful voices, the kinds of voices that are so amazing they give you chills.

Do you have any pets?
Yes, I have had my little puppy, Lucie, who we got as a pound puppy, for almost 4 years now.  She is so much fun.  We have had other sweet beloved dogs and pets like guinea pigs and sweet little bunnies in the past also, but right now we just have Lucie and lots of fish.

How many siblings do you have?
I have no siblings.  And I have had a good childhood as an only child, but I think large families are wonderful... my extended family is pretty big, so I guess that makes up for it.  I have about 20 cousins and counting.

Do you have a favorite saying?
"When God closes a door, he opens a window".  I have faith in that.  Some people might have heard that before and think it to be overused, but maybe it is overused because it's true and it's a comfort.
A less meaningful, but true, one I like is "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl".
And one I grew up hearing is "Bless your heart".  I love it, and my Grama used to say that all the time... there are two ways it can be taken, but when she said it- and when I say it- it is always in the most sincere way.

What things are most important to you?
The most important things to me in my life are the Lord, my family and friends, memories, traditions, and being a good, hospitable, kind person.  I think if you don't have those things, I feel like you really don't have anything.

~

That was fun to write!  I'm excited to get to share a little bit about myself with anyone who reads my blog!  I hope you maybe got more of a sense of my likes, values, and personality this way.
Something that was engrained in me was to always take interest in others, and that has helped me find common loves and bonds with others throughout my life, so I love learning about people...  if you have anything to share, or something we have in common, I'd love to hear about it in a comment :)


Thankyou so much for reading!!
Have a beautiful day!


(Ireland & Fall photos courtesy Google Images)

2 comments:

  1. What a fun post!

    I have some Irish heritage as well and would also love to travel to Ireland and you are right, it does look gorgeous! My husband and I went to see "Leap Year" on the big screen when it came out and wow...the scenery was magnificent!!!

    You have made me very hungry with that picture of the baked mac and cheese. Now I need to go see what is in the fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy!
      Thankyou for reading and commenting, it's so neat to hear you have Irish heritage as well! It really is such an amazingly beautiful place, and I can imagine how wonderful that must have been to see the scenery on the big screen. I'd like to see that movie; I've wanted to since it came out. Maybe we will get there one day :)
      Haha, I'm glad my mac and cheese dish looked good. If you and your family are mac and cheese lovers, I'm sure you would enjoy it. It has amazing texture, and of course you could make alterations to your liking.

      Have a beautiful day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...