Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Weekend and Apple Pie

Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

Mine was quite long and lovely and I'm thankful for getting to spend time with my family and relax. 
There is one exciting thing particularly I thought I would share that I did during this weekend!... 
I baked my very first Apple pie (photos at the end)!  And actually my very first pie ever.  It was so much fun and so neat to go through the process and feel like I was baking up something so beautiful and delicious, a dish filled with love and true Southern comfort for my family :)
I love baking so much, and baking this pie was the best feeling and the best baking experience I've had.  I felt like this...


And as funny as it may sound, aside from baking pie and feeling like a lovely little, vintage homemaker, my favorite thing about pie is how it sounds to say.  Pie.  I don't know why, but I love that word, especially if you say "Cherry Pie" or "Apple Pie", which I think it's fun to say in a Southern accent or even a sort of New Yawk accent, haha.

So, here is the recipe I used, as well as the process that I took photos of to share...

 CRISP CRUST APPLE PIE

Filling:
5-6 medium apples
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
1/2 cup water
Slice apples thin.  In small bowl, add dry ingredients
together to make mixture.  Just before it's time to add the apples into
the pie, spread apples out onto a plate or dish and pour mixture over.
Pour the water over them.

Crust:
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
About 1/2 cup ice water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening and use a blender to mix them
all together.  Add enough ice water to hold
dough mixture together.  Gather the dough into a ball.  Roll out on
wax paper or an area where it won't stick to your surface (I didn't have
wax paper so I used foil).  Place on top of filling.  Sprinkle top with
cinnamon and sugar and dot with butter.
Bake at 400 degrees until crust is browned and apples are tender.
~Because I didn't have a bottom to my pie, as I used a plain pie pan,
I divided my dough and actually spread it over the bottom as a bottom crust
and baked that first.  Then, I used the other half rolled out to follow the
directions, place on top of filling, and so on.
(I modified this recipe a little for sweetness, as well as the directions because some
parts of how they were written were just slightly unclear for me originally).


 My cookbook with the recipe, the "Best of the Best: Hall of Fame of Southern Recipes".  I love this cookbook so much and can't wait now to make more pies, as there are pages of pie recipes within it!

We like to bake with a candle burning sometimes.  It just makes it more fun and makes the kitchen smell even better!  This is one of my favorites. It smells wonderful, and I figured I'd get some use out of it before I put it away and start using Fall candles all the time :)

Some of the ingredients for the pie filling, and the apples (I ended up not using the larger Red Delicious apple).

Creating the mixture for the filling. Cinnamon! Yum.

The finished filling (except for the water) and the sliced apples, which my Mama so graciously cut while I was getting other things ready.

Cutting in the shortening.  Or as it is more fun to say down here, shoatnin', hehe.   I sliced in half-inch pieces and then mixed them all in to start to form the dough, then blended with a hand-mixer.

The finished dough... it was a neat feeling to have made it from scratch :)

Here, I cut the dough in two, to have one piece to roll out to lay on the bottom of the pan as the bottom crust (which I baked by itself first), then the second piece to roll out and lay atop of the filling to finish.

The bottom crust in the oven.  It wasn't perfect, but it turned out okay... someone with more experience would probably know you have to stretch the edges out more over the lip of the pan so that it's more even looking.

After taking my bottom crust out of the oven in the pie pan, I poured in the apple filling & got to do the most fun part before putting it in the oven for the final bake... Putting on the top crust!  I layed it over, made sure it covered the edges well, crimped the edges a little, and poked out a design in the center for steam release, and a pretty touch :)

Fresh from the oven, the finished PIE!!


I was (and still am) so excited and amazed at how it turned out, even if it wasn't perfect.  All that mattered was it smelled amazing and it looked so pretty.  You could even see the soft, hot apples and cinnamon under the crust.

The first piece!  And what is pie without a little ice-cream?!

If you have never made a pie, I definitely recommend this recipe for beginners like me, or for anyone!  It was so fun and relatively simple to make... I was afraid it wasn't going to turn out right since it was my first time, but I'm so thankful it did... and I feel good about how it turned out also judging by how little of it is left after the weekend :)

If you are experienced at pie-making or just love them, what is your favorite pie to make or eat?

~        ~        ~

... For the rest of the weekend (and I count yesterday as part of the weekend since it was Labor Day), another highlight was having a family day out.  One of my favorite things we did was stopping by Yankee Candle Co. ... Once I walked in, my nose wouldn't let me leave without buying something, haha.
Everything smelled so heavenly.  These are the candles I purchased and cannot wait to burn.



That was my weekend, and my first pie!
How was your weekend?

~Have a blessed day & a wonderful start to the week~


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness but that looks good! I have never made pie like that. I really should. I feel like I am depriving my family of something special...which I guess I am.

    Thank you for the recipe, I think I will try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joy,
      Thankyou so much for your sweet comment! I really do hope you make this pie! I am sure you would all love it! I had the same thought, haha, as far as depriving my family... we make sweets somewhat often, but this was on a different level for our tastebuds.

      Hope you enjoy if you try it out :)

      Have a wonderful day!
      ~Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...