Friday, November 23, 2012

A Blessing of a Meal

I hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday!  I enjoyed it very much and am thankful for the family time and the food we were so blessed to have.
Today I'm sharing what we had and the recipes (which had some Southern touches!) that we made for our meal, including the dessert I was excited to make.

Our entire meal:
Turkey
Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Green Beans with French Fried Onions
Yeast Rolls
Corn
Mashed Potatoes
Everything was absolutely wonderful.  We used Southern style recipes for most of the food, but I believe my favorite of all the dishes was probably the stuffing.  It was cornbread stuffing and was so moist.  The recipe we used, called Southern Cornbread Stuffing, is by one of my favorite cooks, Paula Deen.  If you like your stuffing to be moist without having to cook it inside your turkey, you will love this.
Another amazing part of our meal was the mashed potatoes.  It is rare that we make a big meal without mashed potatoes being involved.  They were amazing and had a good deal of butter in them and some fresh cracked black pepper that made the flavors so wonderful.  I'm not sure of the exact recipe, though, as my Momma makes them with her own recipe from her head.
For our turkey, we used yet another Southern style recipe, this one from Trisha Yearwood.  It is her Momma's recipe that was shared on her show a few weeks ago.  I love how special and nostalgic it is to share and use past family recipes, and not just from your own family... knowing that the recipe you're using is from someone's mother or grandmother before them is something neat.  The turkey was very, very simple and it came out great. 
We started out by washing our turkey, laying it in our pan and rubbing it down with about a half a stick of butter, all over the inside and out.
We then put our vegetables inside, as well as a couple of lemons, salted and peppered it well and poured in the boiling water and that was it for preparation before it cooked... the most important thing (and hard) to do for this recipe was to remember to not open the over door for the entire 7 or so hours! 

.           .          .



For our desserts, the two that ended up being made were a German Chocolate cake, which I decided to make mainly for my Daddy because that is one of his favorites, and a dessert that was my project... a Cranberry-Apple pie!  I was so excited about it and pleased with how it turned out, especially because it was different from anything I have ever made... my first lattice crust pie.
It baked up deliciously.  I just finished having another slice... I'm not sure how many I have had since yesterday, I don't think I want to know, haha.  This is a great and pretty simple pie to make for any occasion and I recommend it.
Cranberry-Apple Pie
Filling:
3 large apples
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup dried or fresh cranberries
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-3 tbsp. butter (to rub onto top of crust when
taken out of the oven)
Butter Crust (double crust):
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cold butter, cubed
6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
Crust directions: Combine all ingredients except for
water in large bowl.  Mix in butter until mixture
is crumbly.  Add water gradually and mix after each
tablespoon added until dough holds together when pressed.
Roll into a circular shape (flattened somewhat) and put into fridge
for about an hour to make it easier to handle.
Take out and divide the dough with one piece slightly larger than
the other.  Roll out larger piece to fit in pie pan as bottom crust and
leave the rest for the top or lattice pieces.
Add in filling mixture and put pie together.
Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Beginning the crust with the recipe open, out of Country Woman magazine.

Cutting in the cubed butter.  Mix well, sort of squishing the butter into the flour
until the two are molded together and crumbly.

I next added in the water which, after mixing it in, made the final texture of the crust.

The crust after it was taken out of the fridge.  I rolled out the portion that would
make up the bottom crust then fit it into my pie pan.



I mixed the filling ingredients together and tossed the apples in the brown
sugar and other ingredients to coat them well, then spooned it into the crust.

I rolled out the other half of the dough and cut out 8 long strips of dough to criss
cross on top of the filling to make the lattice pattern...

Fresh from the oven (the scents of the brown sugar mixed with the apples and
 cranberries in the hot pie smelled amazing!)...
The final touch was just to rub a little butter on the hot crust right out of the
oven and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.

That was our meal and the recipes we used for the main dishes and course.
Food is such a gift!  I think one of the nicest things a girl can do for her family or someone else is to cook or bake something wonderful for them.  I enjoyed making these recipes, especially my pie, and the experience of being in the kitchen baking up some love in these dishes was as lovely as always.
Thankyou for reading.
Happy baking if you plan to try out any of these recipes!  I know we surely enjoyed them.
Have a wonderful day!!


8 comments:

  1. I had a ton of fun baking this Thanksgiving!!! I also made apple pie. Do you put your apples in raw or do you simmer them with the sugar?

    Blessings,
    Kianna Rose
    http://kiannaskorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kianna,
      Thankyou for stopping by and commenting :) I'm glad you had fun baking! It is a great feeling being able to bake for family. That's neat we both made apple pie. And I do put my apples in raw because I put sugar or brown sugar on top of them when they bake inside the pie and they turn out nice and soft.

      Have a blessed day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  2. Your dinner looks and sounds delicious. I am a big fan of cornbread stuffing so I know I would have loved that. Your pie looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerralea,
      Thankyou for your kind comment! If you like cornbread stuffing, you should try the recipe, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Thankyou for your compliment on my pie! Hope your dinner with your family was wonderful as well :)

      Have a blessed day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  3. The Thanksgiving dinner you prepared looks lovely! You did a great job with that pie. I wish I could eat a piece of that, but I'm sure it's all gone now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mara,
      Thankyou for visiting my post and for your lovely comment! The pie is gone but I wish I could have sent you a piece somehow. I have truly admired your recipes that you have shared in the past so I appreciate your compliments on my pie and meal.

      Have a blessed day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  4. Your dinner looks delicious! Nothing beats a southern Thanksgiving. :) I've never made an apple pie, but it's on my list of things I must try. I think I'll use your recipe. A dish that we really like is Southern Living's cornbread and squash dressing. Really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for your comment! I appreciate your kind words. I agree with you that nothin' beats a Southern Thanksgiving! So many good things like mashed potatoes and other Southern foods all in one meal :) If you try the pie recipe, I hope you and your family enjoy it! If you like pie I think you will.
      And thankyou for mentioning the cornbread squash dressing. That sounds wonderful, I have never had a dressing with squash. I love Southern Living's recipes and will have to try it!

      Thankyou for your comment on my dress post as well, that means a lot especially from someone who sews. I look forward to reading more of your posts too!
      Have a blessed day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...