Thursday, December 27, 2012

Winter on the Coast

Last week I had the privilege of taking a trip to the coast... the Texas Coast in particular.
I made the trip to stay a few days with my Grandmother, my Mama's Mom, and I had a wonderful time. 
Shortly before I left to go stay with her, I had seen and read some things that were great reminders of the limited time we have with loved ones, especially older family, like our grandparents.  I was reminded of the pricelessness of spending time with those loved ones and how precious that is and when it was time to go back home I was thankful for the days we spent.
Throughout the trip we did a lot together and I just enjoyed the moments... just me and her.

My Grandma now lives up North and spends only her winters in the South, but she was born and raised here, down in the parts where you are taught how to be close with nature and do things like fish, hunt, ride horses, and go boating through the rivers and bayous from a very early age.  I think the fact that she grew up this way contributes to how fun and interesting she is... she always has an interesting story from her childhood or teenage days to tell me with a bit of wisdom in it and is always up for an adventure.
So during my stay- as it has always been- we were out in nature for most of my visit.  I enjoyed this very much, it was so relaxing.

We drove down to the Texas Coast from my town and the next morning and every morning after we woke up and went to walk on the beach.
This was quite heavenly.
On that first morning, I took these photos.  The sky was so beautiful and I just stood there thinking how amazing God is as I stared up at it.

The weather was chilly and windy so the sun was welcoming and warm as we walked along.  The tide was also way, way, way out so the water line actually started near the end of the pier... as I took photos and look around, though, this made for beautiful scenery even without the water as huge areas and swirls of water were left behind closer to us and the sky reflected in them.




That same morning on the opposite side of the pier, it was like looking at a scene from a different day.
Very few clouds.
Longer waterways left by the tide.
Endless sky.

My Grandma's dog, Penny, who seemed to enjoy the beach more than anyone.



Later that day we went kayaking after finding a waterway inlet to paddle through.


And did some fishing...
This is the only fish I caught that I kept because of size.
A nice black drum.

I like fishing, but I do feel bad for the fish so I caught him and then my Grandma took over from there to unhook him and that sort of thing. 


Another day, another lovely walk on the beach.

Aside from scenery of the water and skies, my favorite thing about going to any beach is the interesting things you find there.

Leftover sandcastles.

Hermit crabs and their trails.

Treasures washed up on the beach.
We were excited to find this, what looked to us like a shark tooth of some kind!?



I love piers.  Walking underneath a pier is strangely neat. 

The sad things you find on the beach are the dead things like fish and birds... and butterflies.
I still thought this one was pretty and decided to photograph him.  Now he isn't just a poor dead butterfly, he's memorialized in my camera :) 

One morning after our walk, I went along with my Grandma  to visit some of her friends for a few minutes.  I had met the lady once before but had forgotten about her amazing paintings.  All around the house were paintings of nature and seascapes... living in a beach house fifty feet from the shore would definitely be inspiring.

Going home...
I remember reading a quote before that went something along the lines of it not being the destination that matters, but the journey.
That's how I feel about road trips.  I really believe that half the fun is getting there: the journey and all the things you see along the way.  Of course it's the same on the way back where you came from.

A neat old-fashioned drive-in in a small town.


We drove by so many beautiful, classic Southern homes.
Victorian, Plantation, and Colonial styles that sort of take you back in time, with rocking chairs on the front porch and beautiful columns and scroll work.
This one is a historic mansion I have admired over the years when we have made trips through this town.  It was built in 1883. I find historic homes so fascinating.

And best of all, miles and miles of wide open spaces...
clear open skies farther than can be seen, cattle, windmills, ranches, prairies.

 The land was dry from drought and cold weather, but I still found it scenic and lovely.  I have made trips across these roads to the coast and other places with my family my whole life, so no matter what they look like the roads and land always make me feel at home.

I'm love road trips!

& I'm thankful for the blessing of getting to spend time with my Grandmother and create new memories during my visit last week.


Hope everyone has had a wonderful week so far and had safe travels!!

Blessings!


4 comments:

  1. Jazzmin, these are some gorgeous photos! I love me some roadtrips as well, and nothing makes me happier than photographing sky and sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerralea!
      Thankyou so much for your comment :)
      Sounds like we are alike in what we enjoy photographing, sky and sea are certainly some of God's most beautiful creations to capture!
      & roadtrips truly are wonderful. They are so much fun and I'm sure you'll agree they are such a nice way to spend quality family time.

      Have a blessed day!
      ~Jazzmin

      Delete
  2. Wow, your pictures are stunning! I felt like I was right there enjoying the moment - thanks for sharing :) And Penny is certainly adorable :)
    Happy weekend, my friend!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Thankyou so much for commenting! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos!! I was really excited to share them :)

      Have a wonderful Sunday!

      Hugs and blessings to you,
      Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...