Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year Daybook!

I genuinely hope your new year is off to an AMAZING start!!
Mine has been so blessed... I have been excited about so much lately, and am also looooving getting to relax and read and the like.  However, the one thing I have not done yet in 2013 is write anything!  I have been wanting to, but nothing has come to me over the past few days.
So today I think I will start off a new year of posts with a Daybook, to share some of my recent thoughts in a way that will make sense.
For Today:

Outside my window...
it is rainy and freezing and I am loving it- since I'm inside and warm.  From where I sit, I can see the glow of the lights right outside my window and a dark night sky.

I am thinking...
about the plot of a new book I picked up last night.

I am thankful...
for having the shelter from the cold that I do, that I know some do not have.

In the kitchen...
we are about to make a homemade pizza!

I am wearing...
cozy, soft jeans and a black long-sleeve shirt with snowflakes on it.

I am wondering...
which was the last time I did a puzzle?  I think I will do one soon!

I am reading...
Genesis.  I am currently in chapter 15.

I am hoping...
for maybe some snow soon.  Probably not.  But there's always the hope.

I am looking forward to...
the next time our family is home and off together.

I am learning...
that sometimes an answer to a problem or struggle is right in front of you, in the form of a sign or something close to you.

Around the house...
the carpets (which Lucie is walking around sniffing) are looking fresher after a vacuum.  Yes, I am one of those people that finds satisfaction in the lines left in the carpet afterward... it really does make things feel cleaner ;)

I am pondering...
having "the eyes of my heart" open, and personal convictions.

A favorite quote for today...
"A room without books is like a body without a soul" -Cicero

One of my favorite things...
looking at photos of places I hope to travel to someday, places where I can see so much of the earth's beauty.

A peek into my day...
The cake I made for my family a couple of days ago... red velvet!  Here is the recipe...
Cake:
1/2 cup shortening, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 (2 oz) bottle red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
Cream shortening and sugar together.  Add eggs.  In small separate bowl, mix together red food coloring and cocoa to form a paste.  Add to batter, then add vanilla.  Sift flour and salt together; add to batter alternately with buttermilk.  Beat well, then fold in baking soda, then vinegar.  Pour into round pans, approximately 10 inches, to make a 2 or 3 layer cake. Grease, flour, or butter pans beforehand.
Bake at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

If you'd like to make homemade frosting:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cook cornstarch and water on low heat; set aside to cool completely.  Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until thick.  Add cornstarch mixture.  Beat until it forms a whipped-like topping.  Spread between and on top of cooled layers.



Thankyou for reading.

Wishing you a wonderful evening!!

7 comments:

  1. Your thoughts were very enjoyable to read :) I, too, agree that there is something satisfying about seeing lines on the carpet after vacuuming - it does feel cleaner.

    And I totally agree with the quote from Cicero - I don't know what I would do without my books for I do love them.

    Your cake looks amazing (I wish I had a piece right now) and I look forward to the recipe.

    Have a lovely Sunday!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! I love a room with books. Your cake looks so pretty and delicious. I've always been of red velvet cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cicero quote too! Good to meet you through the Daybook (I'm there too...) hope you get your snow, and that the pizza turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks YUMMY! I have a recipe for a Blue Velvet that I am getting ready to try. It looks so good. And yes... I love the lines in the carpet too! LOL! Our new carpet does not show footprints or lines so it just always looks the same. :)

    Visiting here from SWD! Have a blessed 2013! ~ Tänia of Simply God's Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!
      Thankyou for your sweet comment :) I hope your Blue Velvet cake turned out well, that sounds delicious!
      And I'm glad to have company in finding satisfaction in the lines in the carpet, haha.

      Thankyou so much for visiting and reading.
      Have a blessed day and hope you have a blessed new year as well!

      Delete
  5. Your red velvet cake looks so yummy. Wish I could just jump out and run my finger through the icing, but that wouldn't be to lady like. I'm enjoying your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly!
      Thankyou for your kind comment! Haha, your words made me laugh... I know, too bad it isn't considered ladylike. That is a temptation for me too, haha (or for that matter, eating the entire tub of icing), as I think is probably the case for any girl with a sweet tooth when she sees a cake ;)

      Have a blessed day,
      Jazzmin

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...