Monday, April 22, 2013

A Rewarding Experience

Happy Monday :)
I hope y'all are having a blessed and wonderful day today.  It may have been a Monday, but today was a different type of Monday to me.  I'm praying to be positive everyday, so I have been thinking of Mondays as just one step closer to Friday!

Today I had the blessing of doing something I have been looking forward to for a little while.  I thought I would share about it because it was great and memorable and just a privilege...

This afternoon I got to go and read my favorite children's book at an elementary school!
This was a great experience.  I am actually in a program right now where I was able to do this with a group.  First, we actually made three-dimensional scenes of the stories for the kids to see, and then read them aloud.

I actually have aspirations of working with children in an elementary school "when I grow up", hehe, so it was wonderful to get the chance to spend some time in one today.
I think the most rewarding and exhilarating part of being around kids is their energy and love... as I walked through the halls, I passed so many little kids who just smiled up at me.  You can look at them and see their sweet little innocent hearts.  Their kindness shines out and makes you happy just to see them.
photo
The story I read is called "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" by Kevin Henkes.  It is a story about a little mouse named Lilly and one I have loved since I first checked it out at the library in I think kindergarten or first grade.
I guess the part of the experience that was amazing was getting to work with children that I didn't know I would be working with until yesterday.  We were originally supposed to go and read to several kindergarten classes.  This weekend, though, I found out that the schedule had changed and we would instead be working with life skills students.  I wasn't exactly sure what that meant but then I found out that they would be students who had learning challenges or had autism.
I don't have much experience at all being around kids with learning disabilities, but showing up and getting to share a book with them was a wonderful feeling!  It didn't matter whether or not they were that focused or not, or whether they understood everything... it just mattered that they got the experience.  You never know what will reach their hearts.
It was important to me because I felt God made it happen that way.  I feel that the way it happened with things changing at the last minute and the way it turned out made the experience more meaningful than I ever imagined.

There was a little boy there who was very sweet and the other girl I was grouped with and I read two stories to him.  He played with the scenes we made and we would point to things in our books and we just enjoyed it.  And I trust that he did too.

My experience being a guest at the elementary school today was a blessing and a joy and I hope to visit or volunteer in the future as well!


Thankyou for reading.
Have a wonderful day♥




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience for you! Aren't children precious?! They have a way of reaching in with their sweet little hands and touching our hearts :)

    I hope you're able to volunteer again - it sounds like a lovely time!

    Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    Hugs and love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...