Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Old General Store

Today was so much fun, not to mention beautiful out!

It started off with sleeping in (which is never a bad thing), and then time full of family fun together.  I am thankful for the time we get to spend together when we are all off together.
Today we decided to go out.  First we went out for some recreation and bowled.  It had been so long since we did that and we had a great time.  It's a good thing it wasn't too crowded because I definitely needed some practice, haha.
Afterward, we took a trip to that small town I have written about what seems like many times before...
We ate and walked around and hit some of the shops, or at least the ones we usually go to with old-fashioned, neat things like antiques and jewelry.  I love simple days like these and I think when I am older, I will look back on them and be even more thankful than I am now.

Unlike most times we drive there, though, today we went into the old historic general store just across the street.  I had forgotten how neat it was inside.

I love the whole store because it's so nostalgic, but my favorite part is probably the counter.  It makes me really wish I would have lived in the 50's and around that era when soda fountains and soda counters were in stores everywhere. 
I imagine how it would be to live then, when things were more simple... how it would be to walk home from school and drop by and order a milkshake or a malt and watch the world go by out the window.

Another part of the store I find neat is the walls lined with rows and rows of canned things, like sauces and jams and jellies.  This reminds me of the descriptions of old general stores in the Little House books of stores Laura and her family would go into.  I imagine those stores over 100 years ago looked somewhat like this.

Old hard floors and old license plates nailed down looked so rustic.




There was even this stand where you could sample the different foods to buy.  Since we're in the South, there were quite a few salsas to try.  We had just eaten though, so we didn't try any.
& of course, I couldn't leave without getting something from the counter there.   A cone of delicious old-fashioned peach-vanilla ice cream.  Sampling their freshly made fudge was quite heavenly, too!
Fun and quality time with my family and a bright beautiful sky made for a blessed day♥
The weather report called for rain, but none came and the skies were clear.  If we get a little this evening though, I would love it.


I hope you are having a wonderful day!!  How have you spent it?


Thank you for reading!

Blessings to you :)



4 comments:

  1. I love old places!! I like to walk through old general stores and places that bring back the past!! Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little store! I just love the floor - it would be fun to have a floor like that in your home, don't you think? Your day sounded quite delightful! And the ice cream photo has me heading for my freezer to enjoy some right now :)

    Thanks for sharing, dear friend. It's always a joy visiting you. By the way, I love the new look for your blog :)

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would love to visit a place like this! It looks like you and your family had a wonderful day together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Browsing in the old general store sounds like a fun day. I can spend a lot of time in a place like that!

    Boy, that ice cream looks good ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...