Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Heat & Hidden Blessings

The heat is really starting to get high here... it's already reached over 100 in some parts of the South and right here in our state.  It has still been fun these past few days being outside.  You kind of learn to live with the humidity and the hot when you are having fun I guess...  I went out for a long ride on my bike yesterday morning.  Then about an hour later, we all went to play tennis at a court nearby.
It was a lot of fun to spend our day this way!

{photo}
Still, the only comfort when we are out there is coming home to a cold house and drinking an ice cold lemonade.  We usually keep it really nice and cool in our house.  At night we always put it in the 60s.
Last night though, we noticed it was feeling unusually warm inside even though the A/C was turned "on".  About an hour passed and nothing changed.  We eventually discovered that our A/C is broken!!  During a heat wave.
Needless to say, it was a hot night.  I'm just so thankful we at least have fans throughout our house to keep us somewhat cool.  Even so, without the air condition it is still pretty sweltering in here.   As I type, I am lying on the floor right in front of  the big fan in our living room... "the best seat in the house" right now, haha.
If not for that and ice water, putting my face in the freezer's cold air, and Blue Bell ice cream, I don't know what it would be like.  Even our dog is feeling it... more than anything though, I think I'd like to go to the pool!  It's times like this I really miss our old one.


Seeing the positive in situations has been something God is leading in my heart, and yes it's hot, but I have also been thinking of some good that has come out of our A/C being broken.

~Last night, I couldn't fall asleep because of the heat in the air so I stayed up until 1:30 reading.  It was nice because it gave me a chance to just relax and read and a way to escape from thinking about how hot it was, too.  I got to read about travel among other things and just enjoy laying there.  If it had been cooler last night like usual, I'm sure I would have just gone to sleep because it would have been cozy and cool and I would have missed out the fun of staying up and reading late.

~We will probably ending up spending more time outside today because from what it feels like, I think it feels better outside than inside.  At least outside there might be a breeze.  That means more time outside as a family or walking or riding and being in fresh air.

~Better appreciation for those before us, particularly the ladies who lived in the old South in the Gone With the Wind era... they had no air-condition, or fans, and to top it all off they lived in some of the most humid places and had to wear petticoats and huge, heavy dresses.  I'm melting just thinking about it.

~Most importantly, this has allowed me to recognize how easy it is to take for granted something like a cool home.  I got up this morning feeling so hot and sticky and awaiting the moment later when someone comes to fix it.  Then I thought for a moment... I thought of the families who have to live everyday in these hot summers without any air-condition.  I thought of my own family who lives a few hours farther south than us, who have lived in their early 1900's home for way more summers than I have even been alive and have made it without air condition or even ceiling fans.  I thought of, ultimately, how much I need to appreciate something I don't think of as often as I should.


With that in mind, I think I can handle the heat.  I'm thankful for this day... whether it holds a swim, a trip to the park, a fixed air condition, or a lot of lemonade to keep cool.


Is there a hidden blessing in your life right now??


Wishing you a blessed and beautiful day♥




3 comments:

  1. It's pretty hot here too...it's supposed to get up into the upper 90's tomorrow! :P The constant rain has made it so humid! Blah!! Hope your air conditioner gets fixed soon!
    I have no clue how ladies in the South survived, especially with all of the petticoats, heavy dresses, stockings...No wonder Scarlett O'Hara fainted so much! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jazzmin, your post was a breath of fresh air. I so appreciated your sweet attitude even in times of difficulty - thank you, my friend! I do hope you're able to get your A/C fixed soon :)

    I was melting right along with you as I read about the ladies in the south wearing dress with lots of material...I admire them :) And speaking of 'Gone With The Wind,' that is my ultimate favorite movie.

    And Blue Bell ice cream - you can't go wrong with that! It's been hot here too (94 degrees) and for our area that is hot. Normally we are in the lower 80's this time of year. It was extremely windy here today so thankfully it didn't seem as hot, but I don't know what is worse - heat or wind :)

    Stay cool, my friend. Swimming sounds wonderful!

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazzmin, thank you for stopping by for a visit. :-) You are a blessing. I do pray that your air conditioning is fixed now. I can't imagine living in the South without it. Our temperatures are still varying a bit...

    Your blog is so relaxing...and refreshing. Positive attitude in the midst of trial! Love that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...