Saturday, August 10, 2013

Clean Content Books!

I hope you're having a wonderful Saturday!

I am very thankful for today... a little rain, spending the whole day with my family, and working on lots of fun projects.  Now we just need some sweet tea and make some cookies and it'll be perfect :)

Today, I wanted to share something I came across recently that I am really excited about.  It pertains to books and reading...

I fell in love with books from the time I could read and never looked back.  But the thing was, as I got a little older, I noticed that it was harder and harder to find books that met my standards as far as content.  When I started reading Young Adult books, I noticed that quite a few of them had content in them that I didn't feel comfortable reading.  And it was always a book that was about something wonderful and totally innocent, but a "scene" would be thrown in there or some pages would have cursing.  And God was really working in my heart on reading cleaner and cleaner books in that sense, because I admit that there have been times when I didn't use my better judgment.  But I've always tried to think about everything I do in a way I was told growing up.... which is to think about Jesus sitting right next to you while you're reading a book or watching a movie and really ask yourself if you would be embarrassed or ashamed of it?

I know that when we're at the bookstore, there are always so many books that look interesting, but I haven't had any idea of what would be in them content wise.  Sometimes I try to scan through, but that doesn't always work since you can't possibly see every page.  This is something that I've experienced a lot... being interested in a book and not know whether I should get it, or being immersed in one and finding things in it I knew I wouldn't want to read. 
All in all, finding clean books can be difficult.


Recently, though, when I came upon a website called Rated Reads, I was so happy to finally have a source where books were rated for content!  I always wondered why they never did this for books the way they do for movies.  And I may just be slow, and this website may have been around for a long time already, but it's new to me and I'm just so glad to have found it.
Rated Reads explains the content of books and rates them as: None, Mild, Moderate, High, and DIRT.  Which I thought that was funny that they don't say "extremely high" or "very inappropriate"... they just call it dirt.
It's very convenient and helpful, and you can search or browse by title, author, and genre.

Then, as you can imagine, when I found a second website that also rates books for clean content, I was more than delighted!
This second one I found is called Compass Book Ratings.  I think I might prefer it a little more actually, because it provides more detailed, specific ratings.  The books reviewed on their site are rated on a scale for profanity/language, violence, and immoral scenes.


Between the two, I think I was just so thrilled to have a resource to help me weed out the books I won't want to read and find the gems :)
I have already found many books that I put on my "to-read" list to check out at the library or buy when I'm ready!!
Whether a book is clean in content is something that is important to me.  I know it doesn't matter to everyone.  But if you're reading this, and reading clean books does matter to you, then I hope these websites will be as much of a gift and delight to you as they have been to me!
And you'll probably love these resources even more if you are in love with books overall... if you're one of those people who loves to get lost in a book like it's a new world, understands the beauty of "new book smell", or the sound of the crinkling of book pages.


You may already know about these places, but whether you do or not, I hope they bless you and help you find books you love.  I just wanted to write about it and share because it's so wonderful to be able to know the content rating of a book before reading it, and I think that many of you might find it useful, too.



Happy reading!!

I hope you have a blessed weekend!



{photos courtesy Pinterest}

9 comments:

  1. Blessings to you this Sunday! Thank you for the links to these sites. Very often, I am hesitant to purchase a book for fear there will be something inappropriate in it. (especially if I find the book in a thrift/antique store and the book cover telling about it is missing)
    You might really enjoy Lynda's blog. She is recently retired as Librarian from her church's library. She is a wonderful Christian woman who lives in TN.
    Thanks again for the links. Have a nice day.
    Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is the link to Lynda:

    http://misslynda-librarylynn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment about Lillie.
    Lillie was a classmate of my late dad's. She lived across the street from the home where I grew up. My fondest memory of her is one night back in the early 1960's, mother cooked dinner for a visiting pastor and his family. Back then, nobody had a dishwasher. About the time we finished dinner, Lillie slipped in the back door and washed all mother's china for us while we visited with the pastor. I thought that was so sweet.
    I am responding here because the email I had for you was returned as "un deliverable."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, like nothing better than to get lost in the pages of a new (to me) book! Thanks for letting me know about these sites. I have precious little reading time as it is - I do not want to waste it on garbage for the mind.

    God bless you, Jazzmin. The longer I know you, the more I'm convinced that you are truly a fine young woman who loves God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jazzmin, for the links. What a fabulous idea for rating books. It's a shame that many books will be great, but like you said, a scene will be thrown in and it ruins the whole book. I appreciate you sharing this with us. Have a lovely week.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! :)

    God bless,
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jazzmin, Glad you found that resource which helps 'rate' books... That is great to know.. Not only is it hard to find good wholesome books --but it's also unbelievable what is shown on TV these days... I was watching something last night --and they were advertising some of the new shows on network TV... GADS---sounds like a bunch of junk to me---and not anything I would ever want my kids watching... Our poor country has changed so much the past several years.. Scary!!!!!

    Enjoy your reading.. I am now following you on email.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings to you too! I appreciate you sharing these links with me. It is hard to find books and movies that aren't loaded with bad words. Have a blessed evening. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Jazzmin, for sharing these two links! I had no idea that there was such a place. I appreciated your post so much because clean books are important to me as well. I love to read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...