Thursday, August 15, 2013

Old-Fashioned Homemade Applesauce

Recently, I spent some really enjoyable time in the kitchen...
I made homemade applesauce!!

Making things the way the women and families did in the olden days is something I love so much... just getting to see the way they made things on their own and the work they put into things that we can just buy in a second at the grocery store.
And I think they way they did it is so much more fun... not to mention, I think of all the quality moments mothers and children spent in their kitchens making everything homemade and from scratch.  I bet they made so many wonderful memories.


The recipe I used for this turned out so wonderfully!  It is from an American Girl book from probably my favorite American Girl, Kirsten.  And I believe American Girls are so classic- there's no age limit to loving them :)
The book is called Kirsten's Cookbook:  A Peek at Dining in the Past with Meals You can Cook Today.  I loved looking through all the recipes throughout, and something I loved were all of the neat facts and things they teach you on the bottoms and sides of the pages, like little extras of knowledge.
{photo}

Since it was a recipe that was meant to be able to be used by really young girls to older girls to make, the directions are nice and simple to follow.  And the whole recipe is simple.  Just because it's simple, though, doesn't mean it has simple flavor... It turned out so good!

Here is the recipe, shared from the book:

INGREDIENTS
8 apples (granny-smiths work well)
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(and I added very little sugar also!)

EQUIPMENT
Paring knife for peeling
Cutting board
Measuring cup and spoon
5 quart saucepan with lid
Wooden spoon
Potato masher
Serving Bowl

To make the applesauce...
Wash apples, dice each into four sections.  Cut away the cores.  Add the 1 cup of water to a saucepan.  Add the apple pieces to the saucepan.  Turn on the burner to medium high.  When the water starts to boil, turn down to medium low.  The apples will be simmering.
Cover the pan halfway with the lid.  Lower the heat again if the apples start to boil again when they should just be simmering.  Stir apples once in a while so they won't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Simmer apples for about 40 minutes or until they are very tender.
Turn off the heat.  At this point, I let the apples cool down for a few minutes and took them off of the burner.  Then mash the apples using a potato masher until they make a smooth, thick sauce.
Stir in the cinnamon.
Done!




I used our corer to core and split the washed apples into sections, then peeled them. 

Simmering apples... such a wonderful aroma.  Reminded me of the last time we
made a hot apple pie.

Adding the cinnamon, and stirring it in.



I'm glad I took photos of it right after I made it, because it was gone pretty soon afterward! haha.
It was delicious.  If you make some yourself, I hope you enjoy it!
And just to let you know, I actually cut the recipe in half because I only had 4 apples instead of 8.  So it would really have made twice what you see, about 2 jars :)

It was neat- and a lot of fun- to be together in the kitchen and see the way that applesauce is made from scratch, the way the pioneers made it.  Just like Kirsten in the book♥



For a fun, country feel, I added some gingham fabric to the top.  I think that would be a nice touch especially if you're giving someone something homemade like this as a gift!  And of course, everything's better in a Mason Jar.

A little old-fashioned, chilled applesauce sure was a nice Summer treat!  (It's delicious warm too!)
It's always a wonderful feeling to go back to the simple things, and the nostalgia of feeling like you're Caroline Ingalls making things the old-fashioned way is just a bonus :)



I hope you have a blessed day!



8 comments:

  1. Hi There, I love homemade Applesauce. Yours looks so good. In the fall of the year when our apples come in, we make all kinds of things with them--including applesauce.... YUM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment!! Oh that must be so fun to just have different apple recipes and homemade things from apples. Such a wonderful way to celebrate Fall!

      Blessings and hugs to you,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  2. What a delightful post. Your photos are wonderful. I've never made applesauce but I remember grandma making it. What a lovely cookbook you have and I love the addition of the gingham check to the Mason jar. We live close to an apple orchard in north GA and pretty soon, we can buy fresh apples!!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment :) Remembering our Mamas and Grandmas making things, especially during childhood in memories we have, is so nice. That must be wonderful living close to an orchard! I'm sure you can take many home and make so many wonderful Fall desserts and recipes!

      I hope you have a blessed day & thank you for stoppin' by♥

      Delete
  3. I love posts like the one you've done so nicely here today, Jazzmin! There is nothing like homemade applesauce and I love how you put it, "a little old-fashioned chilled applesauce sure was a nice summer treat!" What a beautiful picture you painted with your words! Your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianna,
      I so enjoyed reading your comment. Thank you for all your sweet and kind words! I am glad you enjoyed the post.

      Blessings! I hope you have a great weekend!
      ~Jazzmin

      Delete
  4. Hi sweet friend! I'll be over this afternoon to try your delicious-looking applesauce :) It truly looks amazing and I can almost smell the sweetness of it. I will have to try and make some homemade apple sauce this Fall. Thank you for sharing.

    I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and thought of you. Wouldn't it be grand to go shopping there together - oh what fun!

    Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      I delighted so much in reading your comment!! If we lived near each other, it would be such a joy to have invited you over to eat applesauce together! I would have loved that. And then we could have headed to Hobby Lobby! I'm sure going yesterday made for an enjoyable time :) I know we would have so much fun going there together, and when I read that you said that it made me smile. We could walk around and share craft ideas and enjoy the simple and lovely things. What fun that would be!

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
      Hugs and love to you!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...