Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Day Of Exploring

Earlier this month, I got to do some daytrippin'
to a town I go to every so often.  You may have seen that I have shared
a few posts about it before.  I guess it is just a place that has a charm that I get lost in
and it inspires me to takes lots of photographs when I go for the day.
The time I spent there this last time, however, was a little bit different.
I went with one of my closest, oldest friends.  It was so much fun!
I missed her so much... 
It had been over two years since
we had seen each other!  The last time I saw her was actually
when I had to leave and we walked separate ways the day we graduated.


The reason this trip was different for me is because we
walked around and explored almost everything we saw. 
When I go with my family, we usually just go to the restaurant there and
to the antiques shop to look around, which I love.  But this time I got to see
a lot more of the behind the scenes things, go inside more buildings, see
more of the history and walk the land, find new places to take in off the beaten path,
find interesting things to photograph, and just explore and take our time.

I will never pass up a day spent this way.

Here are the photos I took that day.


Early in our day, we had wandered a ways from the
center of the town and were walking around near a lodge and some cabins
right on the river.  It was beautiful, with the porches and Oaks and this lovely windmill.
Being Southern girls, we couldn't help but enjoy the views.

Walking along a very historical part, we saw this neat old "Little House on the Prairie"-like
covered wagon.

We spent a long time in front of this building.  It was just so Southern and dripping
with classic charm.  It is a Bed & Breakfast.  I have seen it when we go, but
this time got to stare at the amazing wrap around porches and even go inside!
On the main floor, we entered a room with a mini sitting room and art gallery of the most
beautiful paintings of all kinds of scenery, including gorgeous bluebonnet fields.

The spire and railings just amazed me with the beauty of their architecture.
The railings and the trim and porch brackets reminded me of lace.
The whole house just looks to me like something from a storybook.
Staring up at it, I could imagine sitting on the upstairs porch sipping tea and reading a book
on a breezy Spring day.  Heaven.

I'm sure this wonderful wrought-iron fence has a lot of history to it.
I wonder if it is the same fence that has bordered the house since it was built
back in 1872.

Looking at old photos and postcards is one of the most amazing things.
It feels like you're stepping back in time when you read them and it's a special
thing to read what someone wrote to their friend or family member while they
were on vacation or whatever it may be.
This one was post-marked 1901.

You can't go to this antique store without seeing shelves and shelves and more
shelves of boots.  I like to think about who might have worn them, or
if they were worn to a rodeo or by a real cowboy sometime in the past.

This photo turned out "antique" looking itself.
We found this neat sign and posed with it, because there is nothing more fitting
than standing by antiques, holding an antique sign, in an antique store, haha.

An amazing fabric interior trunk.
It looked so worn and aged, yet still kept it's beauty.
I looked at it as I stood by it, admiring it, and thought about the lady who owned it.
She may have kept all her keepsakes in here, or maybe blankets she made?

The most interesting spoons.  I have no idea how old these
are, but I think they must be very old because of the the pictures in them.

So incredibly ornate and lovely.  I love this antique cash register.


Another neat item.  This vintage hat box and gloves must have been owned
by a very lady-like woman.  That hat was so delicate and pretty.

Just like a real, old store window.


A part of the day that was welcome after our exploring and photographing...
Lunch on the river.
It was a little chilly and drizzly, the perfect day to sit at the table right in front of the fire.



After a yummy lunch, we went into the historic dance hall to look around,
which was empty but still neat to see, and then did a little more walking and looking.
Here, we were about to go inside the General Store and ice-cream counter.
Everywhere you turn, there seems to be something vintage, like this sign.

The old worn floor inside.

 The river.
We stopped to take photos and admire the gorgeous river.
Even in Winter time, it was still beautiful, with an emerald gleam and even some tiny rapids.
And just up the hill is where we had eaten earlier.

It was fun to get in a lot of photos, all the while listening to the water running
between and over the rocks, moving along downstream.

If you have ever read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", this is exactly
what I pictured the river looking like in my mind.  A little misty, and never-ending,
with tall trees on the banks.




This was a wonderful day I am thankful we got to spend!


A friend you can laugh about the silliest things with and talk with about the "good old days"
is definitely a special treasure.
It was a blessing to see my sweet friend again and I was overjoyed to do that
and spend time here on the same day.



It's exciting to spend times like this getting to explore.  When I look back on these
photos as I write, I realize how much I fall in love with this place- and the many of the
areas I am blessed to live near- with every trip.
Because I love to explore quaint places like this, it is exciting to me to think of how
much I still have yet to see, here, and in the South as a whole.



.          .          .



 Hope y'all had a wonderful weekend & MLK day!
Everyone in our family was off yesterday, and it was so
nice to be able to have a longer weekend together :)


Have a blessed day!



7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time you shared with your friend. I love the charming home with the wrap around porch and ornate fence. The cash register you photographed reminds me of the one that two sisters had in my hometown's five and dime store when I was a kid. I love the old hat box and gloves; so dainty! About 5 years ago, I had a reunion tea party at my house for five old college girlfriends....some of us had not seen each other for 25 years! It was as if we had never missed a day of talking!!! Thanks for sharing. You take awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Best friends forever, never apart. Maybe in distance, but never at heart." This came to my mind when you were talking about your friend. Isn't is amazing how you can be apart from friends for year yet when you get back together it's like you were never apart :)

    It looks like you had a fabulous time and I must say that I am just an itsy bitsy, teeny tiny bit jealous you got to go to such a great Antique store - haha It looks like so much fun and there are so many beautiful treasures. I am very thankful you showed us, dear Jazzmin.

    Many blessings to you, sweet friend! Much love to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks like you had a memory making day with a sweet friend! =) Friends are the best, aren't they?
    That looks like a really fun place to visit. I'm sure you would like the smaller town I live in; on First Street, which is along the river, we have a bunch of antique shops. They are always fun to hang out in for a couple hours. =) Seems you never run out of stuff to look at! haha =)
    I too, love imagining who might have used old antique things. Or the stories behind them. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, Looks like you had a wonderful day with your good friend. That's 'my' way of a great day!!! We saw some emerald water when we went to the Smokies this week.. So gorgeous --even in winter.

    Love that B&B… Wow--what a beautiful place.. I'd love to visit it --or 'own' it.. ha

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful wonderful post, Jazzmin! I'm so glad that you had such a special day with a special friend that you could enjoy the special places you like to visit! I loved all of your pictures!...especially the "antique" one. ;)

    Have a wonderful weekend, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazzmin!!!!
    I read this post this morning in an Einsteins before class and I had the biggest smile the whole time! Thanks for putting it up! It's so nice seeing the pictures again because even though it wasn't that long ago, it already seems like it has been. So we should hangout again! And I'll try to send the letter soon! Love You!! ...Next time, Water Tower ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Miss Jazzmin, how I wish I could have joined you on your special day! We definitely share some of the same "loves"! Your pictures are incredible...and I'm so glad that you had such a lovely time with your sweet friend...making memories. I bet that you would love New England with all the historic sites...especially around the Boston area.

    Sending hugs and love your way!
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...