Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Baking, Hot Chocolate, and Sunsets: My Winter So Far

I can only imagine how dreamlike Winter is when snow is falling outside your window,
but even here in the South without snow there is something about the gray skies, drizzly days, the way the sun looks when it does comes out, and the chill in the air that makes Winter so nostalgic and lovely... like it has a special glow and coziness unlike any other season.

There are certain things that make this season what it is to me.
Spending my time around the ones I love, having more time to do things that I enjoy, and feeling at home and cozy.  This is mostly how I have spent this season so far.


~


This year, I had a lot of fun decorating.  I loved the feel of everything we collected to put
on our mantel and hearth this year, adding extra coziness to the feel of our home.
My favorite things we decorated with this year were vintage tins and this little
porcelain lantern house.  It glows so beautifully when a candle is lit inside,
coming out of the windows and the little chimney.
The cute snowman and the tree on the side are neat touches that made me want
 to pick this up the first time I saw it.


The handmade decorations I had fun making were these snowflakes that I crocheted.  I had gotten a ball of white and silver flecked yarn and crocheted one snowflake, and I was so excited about it that I just kept making more.  I decided to put them on the fireplace in a pattern to add some Winter cheer, and we had just enough.


Baking is the thing I could do everyday during Winter.  I am so thankful that some of the gifts my
parents got me this year were for baking.  They know me well!  I love my vintage looking red mixer and beautiful cookbooks, as well as the neat cookie press I used to make these cookies! 
This was the first time I tried it out, and it was so fun to make cookies in different shapes, from
flowers to wreaths to trees.


The wonderful free time I had over the past month was nice because I got to crochet
more.  Not quite as much as I wanted to, but I had a few new yarns that I had picked up at Hobby Lobby and got to do a scarf aside from smaller things I tried out.  It has been nice to have the chance to try to learn some new stitches and try to get better at crocheting and just enjoy it.

Other than being next to the big window in the front of our house in the beautiful
daylight, my favorite place inside to be this time of year is in front of the fireplace.
It doesn't matter what we're doing- just being there is cozy no matter what.
Something we do as a family often in Winter is play games, from cards to board games.
A night with your Mom spent watching classic movies and playing Clue is about is good
as it gets.  I love those moments, and they only got better with toasty mugs of hot chocolate
added to the picture :)

The front window.
I love sitting here because I can hear and see the birds and the light shining in is perfect.  I also love seeing the leafless trees outside, reminding me what season it is.  It is best of all sitting here in Winter because the sun is toned down... not too bright.  It's peaceful to read here, do devotions, or sketch, or pretty much anything, just taking in the wonderful quiet.


 Country sunsets!  Some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen are during Winter.
I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's the change in the air that makes the skies different
somehow, but the colors are softer, more feathered, and brighter all at the same time.


 And most recently, I've enjoyed spending some time exploring in nearby places with my family, as well as with one of my closest friends, and visiting the beautiful river!  The river is different this time of year, with a misty, greener look to it.  No matter what time of year it is, I could stay by the river for hours, listening to it's lapping and trickling.





I feel like I get lost in the chilly loveliness of these Winter days.   Whether I'm inside or outside, there is always a joy inside me during this season.





Hoping you are having a blessed week!!

And a wonderful winter!



4 comments:

  1. Hi There, You obviously are having a marvelous winter so far. I love so many of the same things you do (sunsets, hot chocolate, fire in the fireplace, etc.)…. I'm one who loves winter --but would love to see a little more snow here!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a gifted writer of words, Jazzmin. You paint beautiful pictures with your descriptions. Love the snowflakes you crocheted...and the scarf you made is pretty also. That shade of pink is so feminine. Love playing cards/board games and cups of hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, You have shared some of my favorite things in this post and your photos are extraordinary. Baking is so fun during the winter months; the cookies you made with your press are great. My great aunt tried to teach me to crochet but I could never get it. She did make me a lovely pink scarf, much like the one you share. Those snowflakes are adorable!
    Thank you for your kind comment on my post. I thank the Lord for your blog friendship and wish you much happiness in the new year. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so cozy with the fireplace and hot chocolate! I could use both right now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...