Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Girls' Weekend

It sure feels like this week only just started and it's already Wednesday!
It has actually been a shorter week because we had sort of an extended weekend.  It was such a wonderful weekend!  It was exciting to have my grandma come stay with us for a few days again. Our time with her was a lot of fun.  Having her here was kind of special because my Daddy was out of town and we ended up having a girls' weekend (but I missed him). 
Most of the time, the highlight of the three generations of us being together is something like spending time outdoors, seeing scenic places, doing crafts or jewelry making, gardening or spending time there, or being in the kitchen together.

When she was here this time, I had the privilege of taking her to Hobby Lobby and having her inspire me to do something I had wanted to try for a long time: embroidery!  I just love moments where I can learn things like this.  Learning anything from a grandmother that she can pass down is so special to me.  So she showed me everything I would need and got me so excited about trying it.  We looked at all of the embroidery floss in all the beautiful colors and picked out a hoop and needles and I came home and tried it out the next morning.  And I love it.  I started with some simple letters which are finished now because being a Southern girl, I had to try a monogram :)
I am excited about how it turned out, especially because it was for something I sewed.  I am looking forward to sharing pictures.

 
 
I have so many wonderful memories of moments in the kitchen when my grandma comes to visit, just she and my Mama and I talking over some good, old-fashioned Southern food cooking and smelling amazing.  My grandma treated us to some of her famous fried seasoned potatoes.  They are so good!
I joined in on the cooking this weekend, too, and put together a recipe for delicious cheese straws.
 

 
 
Since the last winter storm earlier this month, the weather has gotten a lot warmer.  It will sometimes stay chilly longer, but it is definitely starting to feel like Spring outside at least for now.  We recently picked up some seeds to start our planting in a few starter pots out back and they are really growing.  I'm excited about them, especially to see how our cantaloupe plant turns out.
They really started to shoot up this weekend.  This was my view as we sat outside and talked together in the cool breeze.  
 
 
Sunday night, I made the main course for supper, a meatloaf!  I think meatloaf is one of the most wonderful comfort foods.  I used this recipe from Trisha Yearwood, whose cooking show I can't get enough of.  We usually make meatloaf from a family recipe, which is delicious, but I wanted to try something different and we had everything to make it.  I topped it off with a ketchup-brown sugar glaze.  It always feels good to be able to serve something to my Mama and Daddy, and they loved it.
 



That was my wonderful weekend.  A girls' weekend is always so fun, and seeing my grandma is so nice.  I love her, the memories I have with her, and spending time with her now.  Of all we did both out and about and at home, I think maybe the thing I enjoyed most was just the three of us sitting out back in the mornings and afternoons talking, listening to her stories, and catching up, with the breeze blowing through the trees and the wind chimes singing away.  I definitely feel Spring in the air!



I hope you had a lovely weekend and enjoy the rest of the week! 



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delightful time together. I love Hobby Lobby and I know you two enjoyed choosing your pretty thread for embroidery. Your meatloaf looks delicious; I know your parents enjoyed the meal very much. Best wishes with your plants. Cantaloupe is one of my favorite treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mildred,
      It really was so fun to admire and look at all of the beautiful colors they had! And to become immersed in even a small part of the world of embroidery- it is such a lovely craft. Hobby Lobby is such a wonderful place :)
      Thank you for your kind comment. I am hoping for a good "crop" of plants. Ahh, I agree, cantaloupe is one of my favorites too. Finding those amazing juicy ones is summer is such a treat.
      Have a lovely day!
      Blessings to you,
      Jazzmin

      Delete
  2. Jazzmin,

    How wonderful to create these special memories with your grandma! It was my great-grandma who taught me to embroider. I will always cherish those fond memories of her!

    Your meatloaf looks delicious! I will have to check out the recipe. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,
      It IS so wonderful and such a gift to spend time with a learn skills and crafts from ladies like our grandmothers! What sweet memories you must have of being with yours. Those are such special moments to think back on our mothers and grandmothers and the time they took to show us new things.

      Thank you for your comment, I loved reading it! If you try the meatloaf, I'm sure you will enjoy it. It is one of the best recipes I have ever had.

      Blessings, my friend!
      May you have a lovely weekend ahead!

      Delete
  3. I love that you love spending this time wth your loved ones...
    And your meatloaf looks delish!
    Have a cozy evening! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo,
      It truly is a blessing, and especially a joy to be around family members I can learn from or who always have a good story :)
      & Thank you!!

      Have a blessed weekend!
      ~Jazzmin

      Delete
  4. You've been nominated for the Sunshine Award! Check out this blog post to see what it's all about! http://modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com/2014/02/awarded.html
    Blessings. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a delightful time, dear Jazzmin. Good ol' Hobby Lobby....I could literally spend all day in that store :)

    Your meatloaf looks delicious and I will certainly check out the recipe - thanks for sharing!

    Also, I can't thank you enough for the extra special comments that you leave me. You always brighten my day with your kindness and friendship! Much love and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...