Tuesday, February 11, 2014

On the Good Ship Lollipop

{photo}
This morning I heard that Shirley Temple Black passed away yesterday.  She was 85.  I just wanted to write something about her because I was sad to hear she had passed.  I grew up, thankfully, with parents who introduced me to Shirley Temple when was little.  I remember watching her movies and wanting to dance and sing like her.  I even loved ordering a Shirley Temple at restaurants because I thought it was fun because it reminded me of her (I still love 'em).  Her smile was unforgettable- and of course her head full of bouncy curls.  I also loved that she seemed level-headed and respectable.  She also left acting early to raise a family.  She sounded like a classy lady way beyond her days as the loveable, cute little girl America loved so much. 
It is a sort of an out of the blue thought, but even Santa Claus was a fan.  I write that because I am reminded of something I read this morning that made me laugh.  Shirley Temple's mother brought her to see a Department Store Santa during the holidays when she was a little girl, and he asked her for her autograph.  She said that was when she stopped believing in Santa Claus, haha.  I thought that was a funny story.


{photo}
{photo}
Shirley Temple represents the purity and simple times in America that are nostalgic to so many.  I think that's one reason why she and her films are so loved.
I used to walk around all the time when I was little singing "On the Good Ship Lollipop".  I still get it stuck in my head sometimes, and I have a feeling I always will every once in awhile.  In memory of her, all I can say is that I'm thankful to have had Shirley Temple be a part of my childhood.  She was truly so talented, beautiful, and had such joy in her bright smile.  It was a smile that seemed to light up the world, even now, and one that will be missed.


3 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful tribute to Shirley Temple, sweet Jazzmin! I, too, remember watching her when I was younger and thinking that I wanted to be just like her when I grew up :) And you made me smile when you said you would order Shirley Temples - so would I :) We should get together sometime and have one!

    Thank you for this sweet post - it was a joy to read. Enjoy your day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazzmin,

    I loved watching Shirley Temple movies as a youngster too. They were my favorite movies, and I also wanted to emulate her. I was always asking my mom to curl my hair. : )

    May you have a blessed weekend!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Miss Jazzmin,
    I think there are a lot of Shirley Temple fans out there! I think that "Heidi" was one of my favorite of her movies. She was just so adorable...she will be missed.
    Hugs,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...