Thursday, May 8, 2014

It's May... Dreaming of Big, Beautiful Hats

This time of Spring, I always start dreaming about big, pretty Spring hats.  I think it's a combination of feeling the heat on my face when I walk outside and wishing I had something to block it out, and probably a little more so the fact that the Kentucky Derby has just happened and seeing all of the BEAUTIFUL hats all the ladies are wearing in photographs inspired me.
This makes me wish I had a fancy hat tea party to go to.  I wrote a post awhile back a little bit about hats and mentioned that I went to a mother-daughter party like that when I was younger.  It was the prettiest party you ever saw.  Classiness and beauty everywhere.  I'll never forget it.

Even though I don't have anywhere to where a Southern or Derby style hat anytime soon, I love looking at them in vintage shops and other stores and in photographs.
For anyone else who has classy hats in your soul and wishes all ladies still wore these out for more than just one or two days a year, I thought I would share some beautiful ones I found... some I just think are gorgeous, some I find so unique, and many are from actual shots taken at the Kentucky Derby...












This is not at the Kentucky Derby, but it is a hat I found that I love.
This is one I would love to have this Summer- for the beach, picnics, walking around
on vacations.


And I included these because, for anyone who ever saw Gone With The Wind, chances
are you are like me and if you have a love for hats like these, a great deal of it might
come from watching Scarlett O'Hara wearing her elaborate hats in all her glory.



It is hard to choose, but if I had to, I would say that the second photo from the top has my favorite hat in it and the one I would want to wear most.  It is so lovely and looking at it makes me feel as if I have stepped back into the old South.

I've been thinking about how fun it would be to make hats, also.  I would love to try that.  I remember having some hats that women in the family had made, mostly summer hats with flowers and ribbons.  This makes me think about the wreath I made this Spring.  To do a big display of hydrangeas on a hat and then a green silky ribbon tied around it with the ends hanging off the back!  This makes me want to go to the craft store and get started now ;)


Which hat was your favorite or which one would you most want to wear?

Do you love hats, too?




I hope you have a blessed day!




{photo sources: Pinterest and Kentucky Derby}

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I would look right in the hats that had such huge flowers and such on them. I would probably like the black hat with the floppy brim.

    However, I imagine that YOU in all your slender goodness would look great in any of them. It seems you are tall enough to pull off a hat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is the 5th one! These would be just perfect to go to a barbecue in... if i lived in the south in the civil war era. :) it would be a blast for me to try on dresses like scarlet Ohara wears! I love how beautifully yet modestly women dressed back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun!
    I liked the second one the best...
    I do wear a hat, although not as fancy as these, every time I am in the sun.
    People often comment on the fact that my skin looks so young for my age...44!...and I tell them it is because of one thing...SHADE!
    Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Scarlett. . .how I loved her dresses :) 'Gone With The Wind' is an all-time favorite of mine.

    I had a wonderful time looking at these amazing and even somewhat outrageous hats :) The feather hat blew me away! haha

    I wish we wore hats like this everyday. I remember as a little girl I loved wearing hats. I come from a large family with lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins so we used to get together a lot and we would even have a monthly hat party where we all had to wear a hat and then we would vote on the best one - fun times :)

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend! Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed your post! I love hats, and can get away with wearing them not too badly.
    The second one was my favorite of all, and I believe I would wear it. :-)
    I believe you would look darling in hats Jazzmin.
    Have a beautiful week-end, what is left of it.
    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...