Thursday, September 11, 2014

Loving Fresh, Summer Fruits

Happy Friday!
As always, time is amazing me by flying and I am having a hard 
time believing that Summer will be over this month!
Yay for Autumn weather on it's way!

Although I am looking forward so to cooler temperatures and crisp,
cool days ahead, one of the things I will miss about Summer that I have been
thinking about is the abundance of fresh fruit.  And fresh, juicy fruit at that.
Being in the South, because the weather is so mild, a variety of 
fresh fruits are almost perennial here, but they do taste sweeter and more
 flavorful in the season when they are "in" and are especially
delicious in Summer.
Don't they just leave the sweetest taste in your mouth and make you feel
refreshed after one bite!

I have enjoyed being refreshed by fruits during this Summer and have also loved
 eating them as a part of being healthy that I look forward to.
Eating raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, apples, pineapple, blackberries,
and blueberries at their tastiest has been a treat.  The only thing
that could make them better is to have the country Summer experience of
going to pick them myself :)
Here are some of the ways I have been eating my favorite fruits this
 Summer...



I know you're supposed to save best things for last, but I this is my favorite new
discovery and I had to put it first.  At the start of Summer, we found popsicle trays
and decided to start making our own fruit popsicles.  These are EASY as pie
to put together and such a fun way to get to eat the fruits you love in a new way.
I think it's so neat, too, to know exactly what is in it since you're making it
and the options are endless.
I just pop a couple of cups of whatever fruits I choose into the 
blender- usually I mix sliced pinapple and strawberries- and pour in a little
water, a little juice, and blend, then pour that into the popsicle trays and wait for 
them to freeze.  That is a fun word to say, hehe... popsicle. 
 I realize that as I read this in my head as I write.
I think one great thing about trying these was realizing just how
much flavor is in the fruits alone, without any sweeteners.  
These turn out so sweet and have the best natural, real taste in a way
that you don't get as much if you buy store-bought "fruit pops".  


Usual fruit popsicle ingredients.  I try to use low sugar or sugar free juices
and switch up flavors, from cranberry-grape to apple, depending on what fruit
is going in.




Another way we have really started enjoying fruit in the past year or so
is by making smoothies.
Sometimes I like to look for smoothie recipes to try and sometimes
I just like to mix up different things- all kinds of fruits, juices, yogurt flavors, milk- and
mix them up and see what happens.  That is easiest and always seems to produce
something pretty wonderful.

...And it just seems a little more Summery to drink smoothies from a
Mason Jar.
And don't forget a heaping tablespoon of whipped cream on top!





On the earlier days of Summer when the heat was more survivable,
 one of my favorite ways to spend some time in the
 mornings was to go out on the back porch and sit there, drinking
my smoothie and feeling those early Summer breezes, watching the birds,
admiring the flowers.  I loved eating my popsicles out there, too.




Recently, I have had a thing for berries most of all... blueberries and raspberries.
I have been loving eating a cup full of them at once for a snack.
It has been nice to crave these and have them to eat instead of chips or
something unhealthy.  I have been eating cups of them for snacks instead
and every week I am excited to go grocery shopping again to buy
more.



I'm so thankful for fruits!  I don't know what Summer would be like
without them.  I can't imagine it without berries and pineapples and
the refreshment of biting into a juicy, ripe strawberry or even just seeing a 
watermelon or peach truck on the side of the road on a hot day.


What is your favorite Summer fruit?
Have you ever made fruit popsicles?



Have a beautiful weekend!!



4 comments:

  1. Looks like a delicious smoothie! All you need is a Maraschino cherry to top it off!

    My favorite summer fruit is peaches. This year we had only a handful from our trees because we had such a harsh winter, but the year before we had a very bountiful harvest and were able to can some, freeze some, and make peach jam....ah, so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your smoothie looks delicious!
    We love fresh fruit as well...blueberries are my fave!!!!
    I love them on cereal. : )
    I agree. Coming home and stocking your fridge with fresh, beautiful fruit is a great feeling. : )
    Here in PA we are basking in beautiful autumn weather. Today our high will be in the 60's!!!
    Have a great, cozy weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fruit Popsicle (and yes, it IS a fun word) and smoothie both look delicious, Jazzmin. :) We were able to plant a few red raspberry plants, as well as a few yellow raspberry plants this year. We only had a few berries from them because of it being their first year, but they were amazing! It was my first experience with the yellow ones...they are every bit as delicious as the red ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love summer for the fruit! Fall is always a difficult transition, but next summer will be here in what feels like 5 minutes. Sure, there will be challenges along the way, but it will be glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...