Monday, October 13, 2014

Homemade Tortillas


I have fond memories of going to my Daddy's hometown to
visit family through my entire childhood, as I still do, and getting to
watch my Great Aunt make homemade tortillas.
They are real, authentic tortillas, the kind that will make you never
want to buy store-bought tortillas again.  As I got older, I started
to appreciate how special this must be to her to make
tortillas by hand, as well as to our family as she carries 
on the Mexican tradition of the women before her.

She learned by watching her Mama do this for their family
and carries on that tradition to this day.
I am thankful to have this culture be a part of me and to have
gotten to watch it in action in her 1940's kitchen when when we have 
visited her all these years and when she used to babysit me.

With that appreciation for the art that it is,
I am happy to have started making homemade tortillas regularly
myself.  I love doing it for many reasons, but mostly
because I get to be a part of keeping that part of the culture of
that side of my family in tact and because it is so great to experience
the taste of a real, homemade, hot off the comal tortilla.
Another thing that is wonderful is that you know exactly what you
are eating and what you put into them and they don't have
preservatives and other additives they often do when made
for purchase at the grocery store.


If you've never made homemade tortillas before,
this is a wonderful recipe to start with.
You can try making different kinds of tortillas with different
flours and masa you can buy, but regular flour tortillas
like these are my favorite and are a great place to start.
These are SO simple :)


RECIPE

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Directions:
Mix all ingredients until dough is formed.
Knead by hand into a large ball.  Pinch one section off
at a time, enough to make one tortilla, or divide into same sized
balls to make each tortilla.
Using a floured surface or wax paper, roll out or hand press
tortilla to desired size.  Make sure your tortilla has a dusting of flour
on it before cooking it.  Heat comal/griddle on med-high and
wait a minute or two for it to heat up.  Lay tortilla on comal/griddle
and let it cook- like a pancake- until it starts to bubble up on the side
facing up.  Flip and cook on the other side.
Enjoy your homemade tortillas :)


Have you ever made homemade tortillas?


.           .          .



I am happy to get to join today in linking with
The Art of Homemaking Mondays at a blog I have been enjoying
very much since I began following relatively recently,



Have a blessed day!!


7 comments:

  1. The tortillas look good--what a delicious part of your heritage! Yes, I've made them by hand several times in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that autumn has made its presence known here at Blessings & Sweet Tea. It is beautiful, Jazzmin!

    I do so enjoy homemade tortillas! Our daughter lived in Mexico City for a number of years and learned to make them. Our son, who loves to cook, makes his own. And you are right...once you've had homemade you don't want store bought again. It is something that I plan to learn to do this winter.

    How special that you have learned to do it so that you can be a part of passing this family tradition down to other generations of your family. Isn't it wonderful to pass down a piece of family history down to others? You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazzmin,

    I love it when there is a story behind a recipe! Family recipes are always the best. I have never made tortillas, but this recipe seems easy enough that I will have to try soon. We love Mexican food.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this recipe. I have wanted to try making tortillas for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tortillas look delicious, Jazzmin.
    How sweet that you want to carry the tradition on in your family.
    Yes I have made tortillas before, and you are so right in that they are far better than store bought.
    It had been awhile since I have made any,I must do them again soon.
    Sweet blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jazzmin! May I come over so that you can teach me how to make homemade tortillas? *smiles* I must admit that I have never made homemade before. I have always wanted to, but I just never have.

    Yours look amazing! I will have to try out your recipe, sweet friend - thank you for sharing! And I love that you shared this on JES's blog - she is a sweetheart and her blog is wonderful!

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good afternoon! I have stopped by this post when it first came out but didn't have time to comment then... I am always interested in a homemade tortilla recipe too :) Your tortillas came out beautiful! Your ingredients are similar to mine so I was thinking to try yours too and found our recipes are exact :) (although I double mine)... They freeze really well! I also appreciate the homemaking history you shared in this! Rolling tortillas was done once in a while when I grew up and it was always a special event to eat them :) Thank you also for the kind words you shared at the bottom of the post and for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...