Saturday, May 23, 2015

Faithful Friday: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Scripture Guide


Happy weekend!

I hope your week was wonderful.  It seemed to fly to me.
It is funny how, even though I am out of school right now, I would think that
the weeks and weekends would all mesh together, but I still get excited
when the weekend comes because something just still feels
different about it.

Maybe I should start calling "Faithful Fridays", "Faithful Saturdays",
because I think that I tend to get my thoughts out and posted
on Saturdays more often than on Friday ;)  But I have something
I found this week that I am excited to share...
I found this photograph that someone took, likely at the museum honoring
Laura Ingalls Wilder and her family at her childhood or later life home.

I cannot tell you how inspiring and meaningful it is to me to
have found this...
Laura Ingalls Wilder is my favorite author.  She is an inspiration to me
in my writing aspirations, my life and the kind of pure and wholesome
life I pray I can live, and in my faith because of her own great faith
that her parents raised her with that she held close all her days.
I am thrilled and thankful to be able to read what
verses were important to her that got her through trials, a scripture
guide for her life that she wrote herself. Wow.

I found myself looking up the specific verses to see what influence
and beauty they left her with as she faced different things,
imagining what depth and meaning each one listed on her list must
have had to her.  As I started, I thought that this would
be something amazing to get to share, a guide that we can utilize
in our own struggles and our own lives.

Here are some from Laura's guide that especially
impacted me.


"When very weary"...
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn
from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest
in your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11: 28-30

"Lonely or fearful"...
The Lord is my light and my
Salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord
is my stronghold in my life; of 
whom shall I be afraid?
When evildoers assail me to eat up my
flesh, my adversaries and foes,
it is they who stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me, my
heart shall not fear; though war rise
against me, yet I will be confident.
One thing I have asked of the Lord
that I will seek after: that I may dwell
in the house of the Lord all 
the days of my life, to gaze upon the
beauty of the Lord and the inquire in
his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble; he will conceal me
under the cover of his tent; he will lift
me high upon a rock.
And now my head shall be lifted up
above my enemies all around me,
and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with
shouts of joy; I will sing and make
melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be
gracious to me and answer me!
You have said, 'Seek my face.'
My heart says to you, 'Your face, Lord,
I do seek.'  Hide not your face from
me.  Turn not your servant away in anger,
oh you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God
my salvation!
For my father and my mother have
forsaken me, but the Lord will take
me in.  Teach me your way, O Lord, and
lead me on a level path because of
my enemies.
Give me not up to the will of my
adversaries; for false witnesses have
risen against me, and they breathe out
violence.
I believe that I shall look upon the 
goodness of the Lord in the land of
the living!
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let
your heart take courage; wait for
the Lord!
Psalm 27

"For inward peace"...
Let not your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God;
believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms.  If it
were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and 
will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
John 14 excerpt {verse 1-3}


I hope that you have a wonderful
holiday weekend!


Blessings♥



5 comments:

  1. Hi Jazzmin and happy Memorial Day weekend. I love LIW too and so does my older sis. Just in the past few months, I was fortunate to purchase an old copy of Little House and also the cookbook. I love the illustrations, also. Thank you for sharing these verses that she loved also. God bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazzmin, I want to share my blog friend Arlene @ Nanaland with you. She is a wonderful Christian who lives in Alabama. She recently posted about a new book on LIW. Her post is here:
    http://arlenegrimm.blogspot.com/2015/04/laura-ingallsa-pioneer-girl.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jazzmin! What a beautiful treasure to find this Scripture Guide from precious Laura Ingalls Wilder! Her example is one I have looked to on so many occasions and the depth of her faith is so very encouraging... From reading her stories of her pioneer childhood and also of her years as the wife of a farmer, we see that she faced many a challenging situation and yet she did not lose sight of the Lord and clung to His promises with a faith that did not fail. She too is one of my favourite authors and I apprecaite the wisdom she offered to others not only through her books, but also through the kind of life she lived.
    I loved the pieces you chose for your post today and how they blessed me! What a fabulous idea to compile much loved Scripture in this way for those times of darkness and difficulty...
    Blessings to you dear friend and thank you for the loving comment you left on my blog! You are a wonderful blessing to me!
    Hugs,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I love Laura Ingalls Wilder, too. I once had the privilege of visiting her home and museum in Mansfield, MO. I did not see this prayer guide - but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, because I was overwhelmed seeing all the wonderful things there. I think it would take more than one trip to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazzmin, I do not have an email for you so I am messaging you here. I want to share a blog with you that I think you will enjoy. Lorraine is a Christian wife, mom and grandmother and loves photography and baking. On her sidebar you will notice a link to her cook/eat/share recipe spot. http://www.gratefulprayerthankfulheart.com/
    Wishing you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...