Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Summer Sewing

Happy "hump day" ☺
Hoping y'all are having a wonderful day!
I can't believe it is already the middle of the week.
Today is a blessed day because my Mama got off of work and
is finished.  That alone has made me cheerful today.

The other day I shared about the busyness of my summer ahead.
I wanted to say how thankful I am for the comments that were left
 on that post, with best wishes and prayers in my stress.  How much
 that meant to me.
...Although that busyness is definitely going to be part of this summer, 
I also am praying that I don't let it choke out the time I want to spend
 creating and having fun and spending time with my family.
I know that I may not get to have as much time as I'd like to devote to it,
 but one thing I am ecstatic about this summer is spending time
crafting, and within that I am excited about sewing!
Even though it may take me quite awhile to complete a project,
I know that it will be a joy to work on whatever I have time for.



Recently, I have had fun planning a few patterns I
am hoping to sew and picking out new patterns (especially vintage-
inspired patterns in a collection out right now by Simplicity♥ 
How dreamy.), as well.  And we picked up something that
 I am beyond thrilled about.  
I'll start with that...



Our new (to us) vintage sewing machine.
My mama told me this one looks just like the one my 
grandma used to have when she was growing up.   
Ahh, I am so elated about having found this. 
 I spotted this, along with a few other sewing machines, 
when we were out a couple of weekends ago, and it was the only
 one that worked.  I am so excited that we will get to use this, as well
 as the fact that it means we will get to sew at the same time now.
I am so thrilled to own this vintage item that combines my love for
all things old-fashioned from eras passed and for sewing. This model
 is supposed to be around the late 60's-early 70's.
There was also a 50's model that was lovely light blue, but it did not 
work.  Although...I am thinking of going to get it just to display since
it is vintage.

I think what amazed me most about this machine that came home
with us was the weight.  It is SO heavy.  For now, it sits in front
 of my bookshelf and awaits us cleaning off a good space on our 
craft table next to the other sewing machine.  I can't wait to
 begin using it.



We also enjoyed thumbing through an amazing selection
of vintage patterns.  We thought that maybe a lady who owned
these patterns and the machines had passed away and her family
had given everything from her sewing room to the shop, as it was in
large quantities and altogether.  Many of the sewing items we
came across also had the same name on them.
  If that were the case, it is special to know that we have something that
 belonged to someone who enjoyed them so much.
These patterns here are from the 60's and 70's and include classy
dresses and even a housecoat like ladies often used to wear.
I thought they were so neat just to add to our collection.



This is the pattern I have started working on.
As of now, I have only cut out the fabric.
I love tunics like this to wear over jeans or capris in summer, especially
when they are made from cool, light fabrics like this vibrant pink fabric.
It may take awhile as I work on it piece by piece, but I sure look 
forward to working on it and eventually wearing it!



Are you sewing anything right now??


Do you have a vintage sewing machine or a modern
one?


Hugs and blessings!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jazzmin, I love this sewing post today. The pink fabric will be lovely in the tunic pattern. I was in high school in the 70's and I can still remember the dresses my grandmother made for me to wear to church and school. She taught me to sew and by the time I graduated high school, I was sewing dresses too! My mother always loved wearing house dresses/coats with big pockets. She would tuck a pretty hanky in the pocket while she baked or cleaned house. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jazzmin! Your blog is a truly delightful and inspirational place to visit!
    How thrilling you found a vintage sewing machine to use! Oh, I have always dreamed of owning a beautiful little Singer...one of those tiny black ones that fit on those gorgeous wooden tables:). My grandmother has one and oh dear! I am eyeing it...:)
    What fabulous vintage patterns you gathered...I love how vintage is coming back into fashion...many of the clothes are much more modest, and thus perfect for young ladies striving to be both modest and stylish! I do hope you get some pleasant sewing in this Summer...I am so glad to have discovered you too enjoy making your own clothes! Not many young ladies enjoy this lovely pastime, so I feel very inspired and motivated to continue making beautiful items by hand...somehow I feel so close to those dear ladies of old who stitched every seam by hand...:)
    I have an elna which belonged to my mother, and her mother before that! However, I am hoping to invest in a more modern, heavy-duty machine for my Heartmade work as the poor elna takes a lot of strain with my sewing soft toys and such! But there is something about vintage machines that makes me smile and long for a delightful collection of them...:)
    Happy sewing, dearest Jazzmin! Many blessings and much love to you!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...