Monday, June 27, 2016

Vintage Delights // Paper Dolls, Doris Day, and Fascinators

Happy new week, friends!

I am excited to (finally) be sharing today the vintage items
I've been talking about sharing photos of that I took
home with me on an antique-mall trip☺

First of all, if posts had dedications, I would have to
dedicate this one to my mama, who patiently waited for me as
I obsessively picked up and admired probably half
the items in the antique mall we visited that day.
She is right there with me in awe of everything and the
beauty there, but I probably took a little longer than I should have.


But oh was it fun!

Come with me to the delightful antique mall as I share
the goodies I picked up.


First are these glorious paper doll sets.
Oh, the sweet dreaminess of these...

For me, buying vintage items is all about the beautiful
thought that the item has a history to it and has encapsulated
within it the joy of someone else, like with these paper dolls,
the joy of some little girl from the 1950s who
took these home with sheer excitement and played with them
for hours on end.


The two sets I took home were Doris Day
and a bridal set.  I love all things bridal.
There were several others also, including Shirley Temple
and other fifties era sets, but these are the two I
decided on.


My mom has always told me how
she loved going in her room or the den of her house
and laying out all her paper dolls and dressing them
and just having a ball.
When I opened these, I could see why- I was amazed at just
how many pieces were inside!


Beautiful outfits galore, from ball gowns to dance costumes
to aprons and homemaking wear.



Doris Day is my favorite actress from her era and I can
just imagine the giddy delight of being a girl then and
bringing home her paper doll set...
which is pretty much how I felt when I found, even here
and now in 2016.



On this trip, I also got to add to my vintage photographs collection.
I collect photos like these and my favorites are the ones where
you can really see emotion or personality through someone's
eyes or facial expressions.
I love this one of a handsome, young man in his 
Navy uniform.  It doesn't show here, but there is a neat
metallic quality to the photo, almost like a tintype.



A little girl, perhaps in her Sunday best, in her
front yard. 
In the border, it reads: May 1953, S.A. (San Antonio), Tx.



And this treasure is my favorite I picked up on this trip...
there is no date, but from the clothing and architecture, I keep thinking it could be
around 1890's or somewhere around that time frame, but
I can't tell exactly.



Vintage brooch delights.  
I thought the black on gold brooch was so interesting
and ornate.



And this vintage beauty we found in one of the loveliest "booths"
at the antique mall, which was full of gorgeous vintage hats
from pillbox to elegant church hats to fascinators.
This one was less than ten dollars and we thought it would
be a neat addition to our craft/sewing room for vintage flair...
because there can never be too much of that.


And how pretty it looks displayed with our gloves
and pearls.  I do hope to wear it someday to church if I can
get my hair to look right in it.
Which may be harder than it looks... the ladies of those golden
eras when they wore hats and fascinators like these made
it look effortless, though.



This antique mall, located on a charming, historic main street
of an old town that is perfect for daytrips, is a place where I could 
spend countless hours going through all the
 different "shops" that are really within it...
since it's an antique mall, it is composed of items belonging to people
with consignment pieces who have their own "booth"/area 
and set up all their beautiful vintage items, from old books to clothes
and hats all the way back to the flapper era,
to records, to typewriters, to old farm tools from
the 1800's.
You can guarantee you'll find something you love in here no
matter what your fancy☺


I apologize for the quality of the photos below,
which were taken with my phone camera that day, but I couldn't help
 but share them just to show a peek at the coziness
and wonder of this place on the inside.




It's too wonderful for words...
All I know is I could spend literally every day in this place and
find something new and delightful.
  I am currently dreaming of the typewriter
I'd like to buy when I return (smiles).



I had fun sharing my vintage finds with you!

I'm hoping to go back very soon this summer, so I hope to share
more before too long.




Do you have a specific vintage or antique item that you
 look for or collect?



I hope your week is off to a wonderful beginning!

Blessings and hugs!

-J



5 comments:

  1. Jazzmin, what a delightful post!
    Those paper dolls brought back many happy memories from my childhood. I can remember playing with those for hours on end, one of my favorite things to do.
    Antique masks are a delight, aren't they? We have one about two hours from where we live,a great place to go. My husband went for the first time around Christmas and had a great time.

    I enjoy looking for vintage linens, dishes and ladies clothing.
    Thank you for sharing your joy with us.

    Blessings to you~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazzmin, what a delightful post!
    Those paper dolls brought back many happy memories from my childhood. I can remember playing with those for hours on end, one of my favorite things to do.
    Antique masks are a delight, aren't they? We have one about two hours from where we live,a great place to go. My husband went for the first time around Christmas and had a great time.

    I enjoy looking for vintage linens, dishes and ladies clothing.
    Thank you for sharing your joy with us.

    Blessings to you~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your paper dolls Jazzmin. I spent many a day playing with similar ones when I was a girl. I collect little vintage china dogs. When I first began collecting them I could get them for a dollar or two but the price continues to go up. I like the ones that look like real dogs. Maybe I will do a post on my collection one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Jazzmin..do take me with you the next time you visit this delightful vintage shop {ah, if only...}...I am just delighted with each gorgeous item you found! And the red hat...oh, the red hat ~ can you tell that I love it?? {{Smiles}} How wonderful it must have been in the lovely days of old, to be able to wear your hair up ever so elegantly with a beautiful hat to finish it off...
    Vintage shopping...or more browsing...is one of my favourite things to do... I am so glad you found some lovely old items, dear friend!
    What fun it is to be catching up with you this Tuesday evening...thinking of you!
    Hugs and love...
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Jazzmin, I so enjoyed this wonderful post. How I would LOVE to go to an antique mall with you as I am the same way and tend to take longer than others {{smiles}}

    My oh my, you found some delightful items. I loved seeing the paper dolls...I used to play with them and they brought back many memories though the ones I played with weren't quite that old :)

    And the hat...{{swoon}} Do we get to see you wearing it? You would look divine, my friend.

    As always, it's a joy to visit with you. Thinking of you and wishing you a blessed Sunday. Much love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...