Saturday, August 6, 2016

Vintage Delights // Bathing Beauties & the 1930 Royal 10

Hello, dear friends!
I hope your weekend is going well.  Are you ready for fall?  That is certainly one of the
preoccupations of mind lately, especially now that we just stepped into the new
month of August!  All I could think today as I changed the calendars this week was,
where has the summer gone?  But although summer's magic will be missed,
I'm also quite thrilled that it is soon to be fall because I am at that point in the season
where I relish in the moments of walking into places like the craft store and smelling
the fall scents and seeing the wreaths and decor... it makes me yearn
more and more for crunching leaves beneath my feet and brisk mornings.

•          •          •

It is a joy today to get to share with you a few of my vintage pieces I
picked up when I last went antiquing!  I took home with me treasures that are lovely,
delicate, storied, and one even almost 85 years old.

This past trip, I of course had to add to my vintage photographs collection.
This time, I looked around a rather long time and did not find any photos that really
struck me.  Then, in one of the last "booths", I stumbled upon two photos right next
to one another and could not get them out fast enough.
They both came home with me, a very summery, vintage photo of two friends or sisters
or maybe mother and daughter? Bathing beauties out for a day at the beach.  And then one of
my new favorites in my collection, the precious photo of a young mother with her
beautiful child, both dressed so sweetly and dressed up. I also love that there is a glimpse
of the family's car in the background, which can help with dating the photo.
  
And perhaps almost as much as the photos themselves, I love purchasing them because
the cherry on top is the paper bag they give you at the register to hold your treasures inside.
The bags are printed like an old newspaper, often looking like something out of the
pioneer era or turn of the century.  I love reading the old print on them, just adding to my
already bursting love for nostalgia.

On a shelf that is tucked inside the back of one of my favorite booths that we love to visit
when we're here was this authentic, old hairbrush, just like the ones you see the ladies
in the 40s and 50s movies using as they brush the ends of their shiny, coifed and curled
locks.  At least, that is the scene I always seem to think of in my mind when I see these
kinds of old hair brushes.  They are beautiful, so artfully made with the designs and silhouettes
they have, especially in the vanity sets I love to see as we walk around.  I'm sure this one came
from a lovely ladies' vanity set, but it was by itself and one of the best priced I've seen.

I confess that I've dreamed of brushing my hair like the elegant ladies in those old classic
movies, with these lovely brush and comb sets.  They are truly from a finer age.
I have one that I purchased here before, but the handle started cracking so I use it as a display
piece, but I finally have a good sturdy, vintage brush from a vanity set to use- all it needed
was some VERY good cleaning and sterilizing and it was ready to go on my vanity☺
I just love the blue, pearlescent back and the princess style silhouette.



And last but most certainly not least (drum roll.....),
I finally realized my dream of owning a pre-WWII era typewriter.
As someone who loves literature and writing often, as well as- of course- vintage and
beautifully antiquated items, this was something I have been looking for over a period of
time.  And this time, I found a beautiful typewriter that was exactly what I was picturing.
The Royal 10 typewriter, dated 1930.  Pause for bursting excitement!

And to add to it's beauty, smart silhouette, architecture, and history, when I got
it home, I realized that the existing ribbon is still working fine and I am able to
type on it!  Imagine my delight when I found that it still worked, when I had just
been excited to have it as a display piece for my writing and craft desk.



  
This is one of my favorite places, this town... to walk up and down its streets
and around the downtown square, admiring its old world charm and architecture.
It is also home to the oldest bakery in Texas.  I am always enamored of places that
are home to the oldest anything in the state or in the country. 



Standing in front of an Antebellum building near downtown, which was
featured in my last post where I shared my summery outfit I wore on this
wonderful day out!



 And on into the inside of the glorious antique mall...





I don't think I ever realized how "scrunchy" my face is when I take photos until
I took a photo of myself taking a photo in a mirror. (smiles)

...and I loved this sweet little lady figurine with "give us this day our daily bread"
on her daily bread" on her apron.  Isn't she darling?  She reminded me of what the
china figurine that Ma cherishes in the Little House books may have looked like.


 I enjoyed sharing with you my vintage finds and treasures I brought home on our
last trip to the antique mall!  What fun it is to walk around inside; 
I think I will never tire of going back, for there is always something new to see
with such loveliness, history, and wonder.


I hope your week has been blessed!

Do you have any special weekend plans?



Whatever your weekend holds, I hope it is blessed and full of joy☺


Blessings & hugs,

4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Jazzmin! I am delighted beyond words that you laid your hands on...a pre WWII typewriter! My, oh my am I jealous {!} and I know just what my sister is going to say...{{Smiles}}. How exciting that it still works...ah, so wonderful! Your vintage treasures are too beautiful for words...how pretty your vintage hairbrush must look on your vanity! I love old fashioned things and am always on the look out for lovely items. Sadly most antique shops in South Africa are very overpriced, but every now and again one will discover a hidden treasure that doesn't cost the earth! {{Happy sigh}}
    It is always such a thrill visiting with you, sweet friend! I hope you have a blessed Sunday... I am planning to work on invitations for a Spring tea I am putting on for the young ladies in my area. Oh, I am so excited!
    Spring has begun to creep in...I am sitting outside this morning sipping my coffee which is not something I've done for a while!
    Sending smiles and hugs your way!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazzmin, I actually had a typewriter similar to that one that I practiced typing on when I was a teenager. Then when I took typing classes we had electric typewriters and it seemed amazing how fast I could type vs the old one.lol Glad I took typing because now I can type really fast on the laptop! I love old things as well..to think they will continue to be treasured is comforting. I just picked up two older pieces last week...will share on Nagaland this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazzmin,

    Thank you for your sweet comment! I just realized that your newest posts have not showed up in my blog feed! I am following your new blog now! You look so lovely! And what a fun trip to the antique store. You certainly found a treasure in that type writer. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jazzmin. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I liked those displayed vintage articles and specially the typewirter. I am glad to come across your profile on the blogger and the blog post to know you as a Christian who loves the Lord and has desire to share your faith with others. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a geeat contreast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also enocurage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. Iam sure you will have a life changing life. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...