Sunday, November 27, 2016

A Day for Thanks

Happy Lord's Day, everyone!

I do hope your day of Thanksgiving was full of blessings and joy and warmth!
Mine was full of just those things and more, and it was a day brimming
with delight of getting to spend time with my mama in the kitchen and
moments with my family that gave me so much happiness.

The greatest and most powerful moments of this wonderful day were spent, though,
in prayer for others on a day when I have so much to be thankful for, many of those
things being those which tens of thousands of others of God's children
are praying for.
I believe that this year, perhaps most of all, I realized that the true point
of a day of thanksgiving (which should be every day we have breath)
is not only to thank God for his blessings and providing for us and our family,
but perhaps especially to PRAY for others who are less fortunate.
And how much more thankful for what I do have do I feel when I do this.

Photographing little spots of beauty or moments, especially in the kitchen,
throughout our day as we prepare our meal is special to me... to preserve
those memories and to know I'll have them to look back on in 2 or 20
years and smile and feel the joy I did then...
which leads me to the fact that this photo above is my favorite that I took on
Thanksgiving day because the glow of the candle is reminiscent of the warmth
inside that I felt all day, as is the lovely glow of the decorations on our
mantel, twinkling in the background.


The day began with the childlike joy and cheer of waking up to the Macy's Parade!
I watched for a little while with my dad and then joined my mom in the kitchen.
We started off with the cranberry sauce, and how the fresh, bright color
made me smile as they cooked in the saucepan.   So pretty!



Every year when this day rolls around, I remember all over again how much
I looove the heavenly aroma of the onions and celery as they sautee in butter 
and are stirred for the dressing.  It is a treat to the senses to take in, and I must
admit I wish that I could stand over the stove longer just stirring them.

After our main course, the Southern dressing (I highly recommend our go-to recipe
for this from Paula Deen- heaven!), mashed-potatoes, and other dishes were finished,
it was nearly afternoon as I proceeded onto the grand finale...
my labor of love... the apple pie!




Using my hands to make a pie to serve and feed family is 
something I treasure and consider such a privilege.
And baking a pie is, to me, a symbol of the old-fashioned, country, Waltons-esque
 lifestyle that I admire so much... of pure goodness and living simply and 
happily, where family and God are your world.
That may seem like a lot to feel just from pie-making, but that's
the way my heart feels when I get in the kitchen to make one.
The last pie I made was topped with leaf cut-outs with one of the leaf cookie-cutters
a dear friend gifted me with, so for this one, I decided to use a cookie-cutter
from another set... and ended up with an apple pie done Texas-style ☺



All around the house, the yellows, deep reds, and warm hues of our autumn
decor made our day (and has made this whole season) all the cozier!



We enjoyed relaxing in between cooking and baking by watching the parade
and the most wonderful event of the morning:  the National Dog Show!
We look forward to watching all of the sweet and beautiful breeds every year
and getting to smile as we enjoy and admire God's creation & man's best friend.
I don't think that they could host the dog show on a perfect day, 
as dogs and creatures great and small are truly something to be thankful for...
what happiness and heart they bring to our lives.
Lucie is front and center for the dog show right alongside us ☺

Our table (minus the main course and mashed-potatoes), full of food that I felt so 
grateful to have and to sit down to eat, surrounded by my favorite company in the world.

And with the lights dimmed for a better view of the twinkling beauty above the table.


All of the past week has been so joyous, a week I'm so grateful for.
It began with a trip to the grocery store that started my excitement for the week
ahead as we picked up our ingredients for our recipes we would be making,
as well as watching A Walton's Thanksgiving Reunion, and going out for a day
of fun as a family.  And then the day of our wonderful meal came, and a 
lovely weekend to follow.

I thank God for this week and the multitude of blessings that happened 
within it.


Who did you spend Thanksgiving with?
What was your favorite part of the day or favorite memory or part of the meal?



Have a wonderful beginning to the new week to come!

-J


2 comments:

  1. We spent Thanksgiving day with our friends, Sharon and Barry. We combined the cooking and it was a lovely meal and great company. I love the little TEXAS on your pie, Jazzmin. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...Jazzmin! You are such a delight and a blessing! Through your beautifully worded post and photographs, I sensed the joy you found in this special day of Thanksgiving... Although us South Africans don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I always love seeing how my sweet Canadian and American friends choose to spend the day... Ah, your apple pie must have been truly scrumptious, especially with all the love your poured into the making of it, dear friend!
    What a blissful season Fall is...now that Summer has arrived, I am imagining cooler days spent knitting or embroidering whilst watching delightful old films, but for now, it is swimming, gardening and barbecue weather! {{smiles}} Oh, I love all the sweet touches you have added around your home to decorate for Autumn...so beautiful!
    And how true and timely your words about praying for those less fortunate than ourselves are! Ah, too often I neglect to pray for others, so busy am I presenting my troubles to the ever gracious and loving Father! I need to spend more time lifting others up the the Lord, it is a blessing indeed...
    Dear Jazzmin, thank you for sharing such joy and cheer through the kind words you leave on my blog and for the inspiring, encouraging posts you write...it is a true joy to know you through blogging! Wishing you a very blessed December and Christmas season, dear friend!
    All my love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...