Sunday, December 18, 2016

Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis

Happy Lord's Day to you!

What a blustering, freezing, absolutely wonderful day it is!
(Can you tell I am a lover of chilly weather?☺)
Have the temperatures plummeted where you are?  I heard several states
are in the negative temps and getting massive amounts of snow.  Here, we are
having our coldest temps so far this year.  Last night as I drifted to sleep, I heard
the howling sounds of the wind outside and the old tree branch outside scraping
against the window, and I could tell even then it was going to be freezing this morning.

Hot cocoa is in hand, the fire is on, my sweater is warm, and I
am thinking of how delightful a cold day is to the soul... the sheer coziness of it all.
I feel wrapped in the lovely, hearty feeling of wintery days like today...
even though winter is still a few days away yet.


In my most recent post, after sharing the photos of all of our road trip
to St. Louis, Missouri, I mentioned I had saved a special set of photographs from
the trip to share later.  Here they are today!
I am excited to share the photographs I took on an amazing day of our trip
that capture what I would argue is definitely one of the most beautiful works
of architecture and mosaic work in America, if not the world:
the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis.

These were the most sacred, breathtaking walls and halls I have ever walked within.
What an absolutely glorious, magnificent sight every corner of the Cathedral was!
And what a place of peace and tranquility it was inside.
I am so thankful to have gotten this experience of visiting with my family
and all of us getting to take it in the incredible artistry together.



The exterior of the basilica is equally wondrous in stature and architecture.


Beautiful Byzantine style notes in the architecture are found on the exterior.

Once inside, a long horizontal hall greets you as you enter, and the sun
shining in from outside the doors streams onto the walls to set aglow
the tiny mosaic pieces in gold.
We stayed until closing time to look upon these works of art- from the
entrance hall and on into the main worship area and prayer rooms- that expressed
faith and told bible stories and accounts in each scene throughout the basilica.



If I could have, I would loved to have laid down in a pew and just stared up
at that ceiling for hours... stained glass windows accented the immaculate
mosaics and the bible came to life with each and every scene depicted.





Everything was so ornately done and showed such artistry.
I recommend researching the history of the build and architecture
of the basilica if you go- we were told of it by someone before we got there
 and it is quite interesting.








Two prayer rooms were adjacent to the main part of the basilica,
and the mosaics on the ceilings showed that just as much care was taken
to make these areas adorned with beauty, as well.

Directly outside one prayer hall was a replica of one of my favorite
sculptures ever created, the incredible Pietà.

A renewed spirit and an exhilaration were inside me, inside all of us,
upon walking outside after the experience of taking in the basilica.  And a most
heavenly sky with notes of cornflower met us outside, a lovely backdrop
for a shot of the intricate stonework around the basilica entry.


Walking back to our car, we stopped to admire this statue of grace, peace, and beauty,
"The Angel of Harmony".  The angel's wings are made of wind chimes.


If you are ever in St. Louis, this is a must-see destination whether you are
searching for elaborately, European-esque architecture to admire, or simply
a place of peace and beauty to enjoy and be humbled by.  


I hope your Sunday is one of joy today, friends.
May your new week tomorrow get off to a wonderful start.  
And if your weather is like ours is right now, I send warm wishes to you, too!


Love in Christ,
-J

4 comments:

  1. If I get back there, I will definitely make the Basilica a stop on our tour Jazzmin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Basilica does look like such a neat place to visit! I'm definitely going to put it on my list if I head back to the St. Louis area. Thanks for the awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of sights to see in St Louis. The cathedral is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Miss Jazzmin...
    These pictures are amazing! What a beautiful place...thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    With love,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is a blessing to read your kind comments. I would love if you would leave me one!

God Bless You,
Jazzmin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...